Ar 10 308

AR15, AK47, FAL, Bolt, Hangun, etc... If I find we need it I will expand this forum.

Moderator: MudBug

Ar 10 308

Postby mossy89 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:03 am

Well guys, I'm not bored of the bushy, but I really want to do another build. I'm wanting to do an ar10 and looking to do a 308. I want long accurate shots and good knock down power. Now, I dony really know whats good and whats not with ar10s and I have read where some ar10 lowers wony hold a 308. Pretty much I'm confused and want some insight from you all. Too, do any of you have a ar10 stripped lower for sale? I don't have to have the best of the best but good quality is always a must. Thanks and hopefully you guys can learn me something.
mossy89

Re: Ar 10 308

Postby BillytheKid » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:01 am

My brother is currently, slowly, doing an AR 10 build using a CMMG lower.
"Now I am Breitbart, and there are millions more of us." - Me
BillytheKid

Postby Hoot » Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:33 pm

mossy89 wrote:...snip...I have read where some ar10 lowers won't hold a 308...snip...

The only thing I can think that they are referring to is the 2.80 inch COL limitation of the magazine. There are a lot of good choices in bullets for the .308, but their length will not allow them to seat in the brass properly and stay under 2.80 COL.

That's why I'm itching to get an RRA LAR-8 Predator HP. The mag well and magazine it uses (FAL) can accommodate COLs 1/2 inch longer than a standard AR10 style magazine. Yeah, that constitutes a proprietary design, but if performance is the driving force behind my purchase, IMHO it's worth it. RRA also offers a .243 and 7mm-08 upper for it, with the promise of more calibers to come. It comes with their popular 2-stage, NM trigger, which is what I use in my current lower. Safe, effective and I've never experienced a bump fire. Unfortunately, I'd have to sell some of my toys to bankroll such a deal.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby kottke_35 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:51 pm

"Unfortunately, I'd have to sell some of my toys to bankroll such a deal."

Hoot[/quote]

Thats for sure. They sure are proud of those units. But I do believe that it may be worth it, like you stated they use an FAL magazine so it will accomadate a longer OAL. It would sure be nice to see them add a 338 Federal load to that list of things to come! ;)

B.
Warriors don't shoot bull's-eyes.

” Blessed are those, who in the face of death, focus on the front sight.”
-Col.. Jeff Cooper
kottke_35

Postby Hoot » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:57 pm

kottke_35 wrote:It would sure be nice to see them add a 338 Federal load to that list of things to come! ;)

B.

338 Federal, aaaah.... Image

I see your .338 Federal and raise you a 358 Winchester! Still a .308 parent case.
That or the 6.5 Creedmoor, assuming the name is not licensed.

That whole name licensing thing is a real insult to the advancement of the hobby. Look at all the confusion from the 6.5 Grendel and all the alternately named equivalents.
Olympic had to name their 300 WSSM to 300 OSSM to reduce the risk of being sued by Rick Jamison. Sheesh! :roll:

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby kottke_35 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:55 am

Hoot wrote:
kottke_35 wrote:It would sure be nice to see them add a 338 Federal load to that list of things to come! ;)

B.

338 Federal, aaaah.... Image

I see your .338 Federal and raise you a 358 Winchester! Still a .308 parent case.
That or the 6.5 Creedmoor, assuming the name is not licensed.

That whole name licensing thing is a real insult to the advancement of the hobby. Look at all the confusion from the 6.5 Grendel and all the alternately named equivalents.
Olympic had to name their 300 WSSM to 300 OSSM to reduce the risk of being sued by Rick Jamison. Sheesh! :roll:

Hoot

Ah Hoot, you are a wise man. Want to run for president one day?

It would sure be nice to see some of those calibers come out. I believe Federal chose a bad time to introduce their caliber with the magnum mania frenzy going on. And I like the 35 Whelen so....bring on the ol 358 winchester in an AR platform! I know DPMS chambers the 338 federal already. Time will tell what is to come.

Ps., to the OP....sorry for the thread high jack.

B.
Warriors don't shoot bull's-eyes.

” Blessed are those, who in the face of death, focus on the front sight.”
-Col.. Jeff Cooper
kottke_35

Postby mossy89 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:16 pm

Say if I wanted to go with the 300 ossm/wssm, I found where I can buy ammo, I dont reload or know how to and dont trust myself. But, if I decided to build the ossm on my lower I just bought, what parts for the upper do I need? Id like to make a custom gun, ive seen some sweet barrels and handguards and the 9 yards. Is this possible?
mossy89

Postby Hoot » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:04 am

mossy89 wrote:Say if I wanted to go with the 300 ossm/wssm, I found where I can buy ammo, I dont reload or know how to and dont trust myself. But, if I decided to build the ossm on my lower I just bought, what parts for the upper do I need? Id like to make a custom gun, ive seen some sweet barrels and handguards and the 9 yards. Is this possible?

To the best of my knowledge, you can not buy components for the .300 OSSM. You have to buy an entire upper. Outside of the Olympic manufacturing plant, only Dtech is authorized to make uppers and Mike is contractually committed to not sell discreet components. There are dealers who sell uppers or complete rifles, but not components. I believe it is that way for their .223 WSSM, .243 WSSM and .25 WSSM as well. There are a handful of AR15 and AR10 unique caliber upper manufacturers who do the same thing. You can replace the accoutrements with other manufacturer's parts, but not the BCA or barrel and extension. Speaking of which, the barrel comes with no muzzle threads. I sent mine out to Ross to have him thread it and fit one of his brakes to it. FWIW, that's a caliber that really benefits from a brake. Baby and how!

Hoot
Hoot

Postby Stealthshooter » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:30 am

Dtech also offers the 30/25 WSSM which I believe only has a different shoulder angle than the 300OSSM. It gets him away from the licencing issues of the 300OSSM.

http://www.dtechsuperstore.com/new_wssm.htm
Stealthshooter

Postby Hoot » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:09 am

Stealthshooter wrote:Dtech also offers the 30/25 WSSM which I believe only has a different shoulder angle than the 300OSSM. It gets him away from the licencing issues of the 300OSSM.

http://www.dtechsuperstore.com/new_wssm.htm

Mike will chamber it either way. Per Olympics spec or his own variation as he has both reamers. We're talking a few degrees difference in the shoulder angle consistent with the original Winchester spec difference between the 243 WSSM and 25 WSSM. I can't say either way, which is the better choice, but if they cost the same price, with the same lead time, I'd go with Mike's because he does phenomenal work. Unfortunately, that's not the case as Mike is not a factory, with their resources. His product line includes some quite impressive spins on the AR15 and AR10 platforms though. His lead times can get as far out as a year when he's busy.

Hoot
Hoot

Next

Return to Firearms