Carrier system for 6.5 Grendel AR Build?

AR15, AK47, FAL, Bolt, Hangun, etc... If I find we need it I will expand this forum.

Moderator: MudBug

Carrier system for 6.5 Grendel AR Build?

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:09 am

I've been looking at carriers for the 6.5 Grendel build and just wondering what you guys would use if you had an upper build in progress. I will point out on the front-end that the Bolt is included with the barrel so that choice has already been made for me. But there are so many different types of carriers and some reviews on Chrome carriers are less than stellar. Your experiences and input welcome.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Re: Carrier system for 6.5 Grendel AR Build?

Postby Hoot » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:33 am

I've actually used my 450b carrier with the AA bolt. I have also used the one availablle at Bravo Company.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:30 am

Actually, I plan on a carrier dedicated to the Grendel so I'm not always having to put one rifle out of service to benefit another. There's just so many different styles to choose from and I am seeing cheap prices on some of the more generic ones, modest to fair prices for other plated carriers, but I have read reviews that make me want to stay away from chrome. I have also seen some stainless carriers and a whole stampede of other special plated carriers and I have looked at Brownells, Cheaper than Dirt and Midway, Stag, Area 51, Gun Broker, DPMS, Natchez, and a few other sites. I planned on spending more on this build and I want parts that last, but I'm thinking stainless seems a bit soft for a carrier system that's going to be slamming back and forth. There are a few other styles and platings offered, but even those reviews are either vaguely positive or non-existant. Brownells has some fair priced carriers but I don't know anything about some of those models and have yet to read the reviews, (If Any), on a few that I liked. About the only carrier that got a good rating is a bit pricey but doable, is the Titanium. Has anyone had any experience with the Titanium carriers? But I did like your idea about the gas block. I will be tinkering around with that this weekend. 8-) We may also be shooting some this weekend, so maybe we can get another video up soon.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Hoot » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:34 am

I just bought one of These and saved the bolt as a spare for my .223. You can get a similar one $30 cheaper from Palmetto. Hard to tell from a web image if they are the same OEM though. Specs are the same.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:49 pm

Hoot wrote:I just bought one of These and saved the bolt as a spare for my .223. You can get a similar one $30 cheaper from Palmetto. Hard to tell from a web image if they are the same OEM though. Specs are the same.

Hoot

It looks like the one at Palmetto has the Palmetto emblem on the carrier, but the description looks like it got cut and pasted from bravo company.
What do you think about Titanium?
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Hoot » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:12 pm

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:
Hoot wrote:I just bought one of These and saved the bolt as a spare for my .223. You can get a similar one $30 cheaper from Palmetto. Hard to tell from a web image if they are the same OEM though. Specs are the same.

Hoot

It looks like the one at Palmetto has the Palmetto emblem on the carrier, but the description looks like it got cut and pasted from bravo company.
What do you think about Titanium?

I think the qualities that give titanium it's value are not needed for the role of a Bolt Carrier. A carrier with some enhanced coating, now that has some merits WRT maintenance or reduced wear, but from my limited experience, a good, hard steel, like most are made from, along with strategically placed chrome plating, is probably more than adequate. I can't stress enough the phrase "limited experience". I've been into non AR firearms 2 to 3 times longer than I've been into AR based firearms, so there's a lot I don't know from experience. Granted, I can figure out a lot from other experiences, but there are folks here who eclipse my AR experience. Lot of folks.

Hoot
Hoot

Return to Firearms