Scope Height. Is higher better?

AR15, AK47, FAL, Bolt, Hangun, etc... If I find we need it I will expand this forum.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Scope Height. Is higher better?

Postby Hoot » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:06 pm

MOUNTIN DU wrote::shock: ...not to mention that canting in either direction amplifies your windage error as well :oops:...snip...

+1 to that factor. Due to having to mount the scope so high on AR's I use a level to prevent canting when shooting for load assessment, off of a bench rest, which is most of my time at the range. If you doubt the effect, zoom up to maximum magnification on your scope and rock it left and right a tenth of an inch. That's 0.1 inch and look where your cross hairs fall on a target at 100 yards. In my 6-24x50 Nikon Monarch, it's off paper on an 8 1/2x11 target. If you doubt you are really that far off paper, squeeze the trigger and see where it goes.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:15 pm

This scope is a Simmons Whitetail Classic 6-20X50mm with front focus, and optional sunshade. I loved the 4-12X50mm scope on my 7mm Rem Mag, I just had to get one like it. I found this one on sale at Midway for $109.00 regularly $250.00. Awesome scope! I may buy another.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Hoot » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:25 pm

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:This scope is a Simmons Whitetail Classic 6-20X50mm with front focus, and optional sunshade. I loved the 4-12X50mm scope on my 7mm Rem Mag, I just had to get one like it. I found this one on sale at Midway for $109.00 regularly $250.00. Awesome scope! I may buy another.

That's a very good value Robin! I don't need anymore scopes and I may buy one myself. Are they currently on sale for that much, or was that a past sale?

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Hoot » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:31 pm

Hoot wrote:That's a very good value Robin! I don't need anymore scopes and I may buy one myself. Are they currently on sale for that much, or was that a past sale?

Hoot

A couple of mouse clicks answered my question. That's an ongoing sale. Looking at the reviews, it looks like they had a bad batch last year, but the more recent reviews look fair. This may be a case of hit or miss. Keep in mind that generally speaking, most satisfied people do not write reviews back to the retailer. They're too busy enjoying the product. Pissed off people generally do. Still, keep your receipt.

Hoot
Hoot

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:19 pm

Every scoped rifle I have except for one, has Simmons Scopes on them and I have about about seven. The only one not Simmons is my Thumper which has the Nikko Stirling. I've had one problem with a Simmons and it was purely cosmetic which was returned and replaced no worries and that was over 17 years ago. I've never had to replace them since. The only thing that this scope has that some might not like is a crosshair that some consider to be a bit thick. My eyes getting old however, I don't find this as a big issue.
PS I left one scope out. I have a Cabelas Pine Ridge on my XM15.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby BayouBob » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:55 pm

Dawg, The height of the scope has nothing to do with the range of the rifle. I don't think that is how you meant the question to come out.
My Daddy was wrong when he said: "When a man turns 60 he ought to be able to trade his testicles in on a new set of teeth." Oatmeal and soup don't sound too bad.
BayouBob

Postby kottke_35 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:15 am

BayouBob wrote:Dawg, The height of the scope has nothing to do with the range of the rifle. I don't think that is how you meant the question to come out.

Not to stir the pot here, but scope "height" does have some effect on the range of the bullet if done in the correct mannor. Look at some tactical/sniper rifles, they have a riser added/built in to the rail to get more vertical dope out out of their rifle/cartridge combo. These risers are usually of the 20moa variety. This usually does not become an issue until out to about 1k yards. If you're not affraid to adjust your scope then you could get a little more range out of your rifles.

This article is referring to the mighty 50bmg but the issue still relates to other calibers as well.

http://www.riflebarrels.com/articles/50calibre/scope_bases.htm

I do agree with the Hootman here though, I like my scopes mounted low.

B.
Warriors don't shoot bull's-eyes.

” Blessed are those, who in the face of death, focus on the front sight.”
-Col.. Jeff Cooper
kottke_35

Postby BayouBob » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:57 am

The height of the scope's line of sight over the line of the barrel can let you adjust the scope for convergence of the two lines at a longer distance before running out of scope adjustment which I think is what Dog was referring to but it won't affect the actual "range" of the bullet.
My Daddy was wrong when he said: "When a man turns 60 he ought to be able to trade his testicles in on a new set of teeth." Oatmeal and soup don't sound too bad.
BayouBob

Postby kottke_35 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:32 pm

BayouBob wrote:The height of the scope's line of sight over the line of the barrel can let you adjust the scope for convergence of the two lines at a longer distance before running out of scope adjustment which I think is what Dog was referring to but it won't affect the actual "range" of the bullet.

Correct. I think we were all on different thought processes. Good day.

B.
Warriors don't shoot bull's-eyes.

” Blessed are those, who in the face of death, focus on the front sight.”
-Col.. Jeff Cooper
kottke_35

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:44 pm

kottke_35 wrote:
BayouBob wrote:Dawg, The height of the scope has nothing to do with the range of the rifle. I don't think that is how you meant the question to come out.

Not to stir the pot here, but scope "height" does have some effect on the range of the bullet if done in the correct mannor. Look at some tactical/sniper rifles, they have a riser added/built in to the rail to get more vertical dope out out of their rifle/cartridge combo. These risers are usually of the 20moa variety. This usually does not become an issue until out to about 1k yards. If you're not affraid to adjust your scope then you could get a little more range out of your rifles.

This article is referring to the mighty 50bmg but the issue still relates to other calibers as well.

http://www.riflebarrels.com/articles/50calibre/scope_bases.htm

I do agree with the Hootman here though, I like my scopes mounted low.

B.

Bingo!!! More Dope was the subject!!!
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

PreviousNext

Return to Firearms