Need help deciding on next rifle....

AR15, AK47, FAL, Bolt, Hangun, etc... If I find we need it I will expand this forum.

Moderator: MudBug

Need help deciding on next rifle....

Postby 2zero6 » Sat May 15, 2010 8:47 pm

So I am in the market for a 7.62x51 semi auto and i am leaning towards the DPMS LR308 AP4. the others that are on the "potential list" are:
M14/M1A
Keltec RFB (uses metric FAL mags)
DS Arms FAL

As for the AR10 style I ruled out the armalite pattern for the DPMS pattern in case I ever bought a POF P308 upper and mag availability. I would like to here everyones opinions about their experience with any of these guns to help with the decision makin process. Also want the ability to go short if I wanted to so that is why the FAL is lower on the list. If I het the m14 there is a bullpup kit from www.shortrifles.com that is pretty cool. The Keltec is already designed that way. But so far the DPMS is leading the pack just because it is so easy to swap uppers and modularity. Thanks in advance guys. :?:
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - Benjamin Franklin."
Member #55 of the 450b forum.
2zero6

Re: Need help deciding on next rifle....

Postby MudBug » Sun May 16, 2010 12:22 am

Do you want dependability or accuracy?

Id accuracy the the DPMS and expensive ammo, if dependability then the FAL and suplus ammo.
Eric

"A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

"War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd
MudBug
Site Admin

Postby gunnut » Sun May 16, 2010 2:01 am

I have an armalite AR10 works fine and they put their 25rd. mags on sale from time to time. $25Ea.
DPMS and armalite are still the AR platform! most lower parts will interchange with AR15s. ;)
gunnut

Postby Colohunter » Sun May 16, 2010 6:51 am

A coworker of mine has a LR308 and really enjoys it, I don't remember which variation it is. I have looked into getting a DPMS and the accuracy reviews are very high, also Magpul has started making magazines so that is a huge plus.
Colohunter

Postby HillBilly » Sun May 16, 2010 8:07 am

If you dont have a FAL/L1A1 you need one...
HillBilly

Postby Siringo » Sun May 16, 2010 10:26 am

My next upper will be either a 30 OSSM or 35 WSSM. See Olympic or Dtech. Full size performace on an ar15 chassis. My son has an AR10, shoots great, but way to heavy for me -- been there done that. I'm looking for longer range hunting rifle, so mag cap is not an issue.
Siringo

Postby 2zero6 » Sun May 16, 2010 10:28 am

MudBug wrote:Do you want dependability or accuracy?

Id accuracy the the DPMS and expensive ammo, if dependability then the FAL and suplus ammo.

More into modularity and customization ease/accuracy.

HillBilly wrote:If you dont have a FAL/L1A1 you need one...

I know, if I end up with the DPMS or M1A/M14 I will pick up a FAL or RFB after my 50 bmg build. Those DS Arms are way too pretty to not have one.

Siringo wrote:My next upper will be either a 30 OSSM or 35 WSSM. See Olympic or Dtech. Full size performace on an ar15 chassis. My son has an AR10, shoots great, but way to heavy for me -- been there done that. I'm looking for longer range hunting rifle, so mag cap is not an issue.

Check out the keltec RFB as I believe it only weighs just north of 8lbs. It also takes surplus metric FAL mags. Although there is this if you want great accuracy on an AR platform try http://onlylongrange.com/badnews.asp
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - Benjamin Franklin."
2zero6

Postby thebrassnuckles » Sun May 16, 2010 6:00 pm

get an FNAR

but seriously, I would love an AR10, but i really want an M1A so I wouldn't need a magazine lock, but I want a CETME/HK91 for 3 dollar mags :o

what to do... what to do..

but i think i'll just get a bolt action 308 for my precision rig.
thebrassnuckles

Postby 2zero6 » Sun May 16, 2010 7:08 pm

thebrassnuckles wrote:get an FNAR

but seriously, I would love an AR10, but i really want an M1A so I wouldn't need a magazine lock, but I want a CETME/HK91 for 3 dollar mags :o

If your anything like me you just might end up adding all those to your collection like I am planning on doing as money and time permit

thebrassnuckles wrote:but i think i'll just get a bolt action 308 for my precision rig.

Already have a .338lm Bolt Action for my precision rig next is a .50 bmg bolt action repeater as well as a 6.5 Grendel
2zero6

Postby thebrassnuckles » Sun May 16, 2010 9:03 pm

2zero6 wrote:
thebrassnuckles wrote:get an FNAR

If your anything like me you just might end up adding all those to your collection like I am planning on doing as money and time permit

thebrassnuckles wrote:but i think i'll just get a bolt action 308 for my precision rig.

Already have a .338lm Bolt Action for my precision rig next is a .50 bmg bolt action repeater as well as a 6.5 Grendel

Oh i definitely see this in my future, but I just pretend i have some self control haha!
thebrassnuckles

Next

Return to Firearms