M1 Carbine Thumper

AR15, AK47, FAL, Bolt, Hangun, etc... If I find we need it I will expand this forum.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: M1 Carbine Thumper

Postby wildcatter » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:24 pm

slash2 wrote:I love my '43 Winchester M1 Carbine and wouldn't dream of changing a thing about it, but the thought of having an M1 Carb in .357.... makes my mouth water Tim!

Now if I could only find an Auto Ordnance M1 for a good price....

Ok, just a thought here. I have advertised in major news papers, for m1c's. As tons of guys got dcm rifles, lots of years ago for under $50 bucks, an offer, for many of them, is something you should explore.. So, my ad goes something like this .."I've got $150 dollars for your M1 Carbine", call BR549, see, short and sweet. Now, most will scream, .."ARE YOU KIDDING ME"!!! But I guarantee, you'll get several calls, several, and just how many do you want, anyways? Same thing for Garands. The only real problem is, were in the want ads do you think the Mark, is looking. I've had hits in everything from the Garage Sale Section, to sporting goods. Don't give up if no one responds, you may either need to switch sections or news papers or cities. The best part of this strategy, is that they are happy to take your money and feel real good about the deal, never dreaming they could have gotten so much for their weapon, that was totally covered in dirt and dust. How 'bout this, .."$50 bucks for your old beat up German Mauser", yup, works every-time. Ok, if you do this, you owe me a 450b dinner, like the one Bushmeister made for us..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby fsrmg1 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:10 pm

Wildcatter,

I'm with you, the M1 Carbine should have originally been based off the 351 WSL round, which would sort of give us a 9mm Win Mag, but a bit longer. Why they went with the 32 WSL for development is anyone’s guess??? It would hardly have given up any ammo space/weight by going to this larger round, while still keeping the basic dimensions and capacity of the weapon. I don't think that there would be much debate about the lack of stopping power either, as is still the case with the 30 Carbine round.

Anyway, that said, I've been looking for one that has been converted to 9mm Win Mag for years now and have resigned to the fact that I'm going to have to find somebody to build one up for me. I was thinking of getting a CMP "racker" as a starting platform and have the original barrel rebored to .355" if I can find somebody who will do the work for me. What I basically want is a Carbine that is in its' original military configuration (reparked/stocked as necessary), but in 9mm WM as it should have been.

How much of a conversion would this amount to including estimated cost? I assume that it would be a lot easier than the big thumpers you've done.

Thanks
fsrmg1

Postby HillBilly » Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:09 pm

Tony Rumore did a nice M1 carbine in 10mm mag for his father as a hog gun a number of years back...

The 44mag pump conversions sold good around here...

Semi 45wm would be a deerknocker I would not mind myself...
If you build it they will come, If I build it... I'll take the damn thing home!
HillBilly

Postby wildcatter » Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:56 pm

fsrmg1 wrote:Wildcatter,

I'm with you, the M1 Carbine should have originally been based off the 351 WSL round, which would sort of give us a 9mm Win Mag, but a bit longer. Why they went with the 32 WSL for development is anyone’s guess??? It would hardly have given up any ammo space/weight by going to this larger round, while still keeping the basic dimensions and capacity of the weapon. I don't think that there would be much debate about the lack of stopping power either, as is still the case with the 30 Carbine round.

Anyway, that said, I've been looking for one that has been converted to 9mm Win Mag for years now and have resigned to the fact that I'm going to have to find somebody to build one up for me. I was thinking of getting a CMP "racker" as a starting platform and have the original barrel rebored to .355" if I can find somebody who will do the work for me. What I basically want is a Carbine that is in its' original military configuration (reparked/stocked as necessary), but in 9mm WM as it should have been.

How much of a conversion would this amount to including estimated cost? I assume that it would be a lot easier than the big thumpers you've done.

Thanks

Nope, the m1c is way more involved, but way better to carry.

HillBilly wrote:Tony Rumore did a nice M1 carbine in 10mm mag for his father as a hog gun a number of years back...

The 44mag pump conversions sold good around here...

Semi 45wm would be a deerknocker I would not mind myself...

Tony always seems to be trying to copy my work, he did that after finding out that I had done it many years before his attempt and of the conversions I have designed, the 10mm mag I like the least. See, all these other guys, that try to copy my work, are not original thinkers, I open the door and they step in, never really understanding the job at hand (In all honesty, I made some Dogs too, but learned and updated the science to produce a better product), some of them do pretty good jobs, but many that come behind me, lack perspective of execution. Oh, I like the 10 mag cartridge alright, it's just that the magazine doesn't like it much. You can be shooting along and the mag will release all the rest of the rounds, into the action and unto the ground. Tweaking the mag helps, but only slightly.

Ok, let me wet your whistle some, I built an AR, for some Israeli Security Forces, using the 30 carbine round, tony and company, again, have tried to copy my work, except, mine runs on gas and uses the m1c's standard mag and the action releases the mag from the lower as we do with our your current mag now. And I do it with the 45ACP too, gas, 1911mags, and std AR Mag release, ain't no body figured out how I do that yet, they have their blow back acp's, mine runs on gas..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby hi50 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:42 pm

Wildcatter,
I have one of your 45WM Mag-1 carbines. I believe I have the version without the barrel grooves behind the gas block; it has a flat area for the weighted op rod. I have a few magazines, but am wanting to get more- the modified 15 rounders. It is a powerhouse, and is a joy to shoot. Goes well with my LAR Grizzly 45WM. Will probably be put to hog hunting duties soon. Check your prior messages and call me....
hi50

Postby wildcatter » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:24 am

hi50 wrote:Wildcatter,
I have one of your 45WM Mag-1 carbines. I believe I have the version without the barrel grooves behind the gas block; it has a flat area for the weighted op rod. I have a few magazines, but am wanting to get more- the modified 15 rounders. It is a powerhouse, and is a joy to shoot. Goes well with my LAR Grizzly 45WM. Will probably be put to hog hunting duties soon. Check your prior messages and call me....

K, Glad you like it. I've had you on my mind, just have not had the time to make some mags up, I'll call soon..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Postby frodobaggins » Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:15 pm

wildcatter wrote:He would always say, .."The man that developed the M16, deserved a special place in Haiti's"..

Lol, my buddy, an army chopper pilot flies to Haiti frequently, he gets it confused with "Hades" often as well... :)
frodobaggins

Postby pitted bore » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:04 am

thebrassnuckles wrote: . . .My interest in the M1 is due to the fact that here in the PRK I can have detachable mags with a rifle like the M1, so low cap mags wont bother me too much, and I dont have to deal with a Bullet Button

wildcatter wrote:Can't use a button for rifling an already contoured barrel, assuming I understand your statement correctly. The barrel just expands out over the button and then contracts back to it's original shape, with no rifling pushed into the barrel, and besides there isn't enough barrel meat for these conversions, so a new barrel is needed and that M1c barrel is one of the most difficult to machine barrels, there is to do.

T-
Mr. thebrassnuckles did not reply to your comment, so I'll give it a try. You did not understand his statement, because you don't live in California (which is a good thing for you).

In the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia (PRK), a "bullet button" is not the carbide button used for rifling a barrel. It's a device that replaces the usual AR magazine release button, so that the rifle can be legally owned in that state.

The PRK's benighted legislature decided that a removable magazine is one of the characteristics that makes a rifle an "assault weapon". Somebody decided that a magazine is not "removable" if a tool is required to remove it. (They were probably thinking about screwdrivers, wrenches, etc.) The riflemen determined that a pointy piece of metal qualified as a "tool", and the mag drop button could be legally replaced with a widget that allows a pointy tool to be used to drop the mag.

The point of a bullet in a cartridge can be used to accomplish the job, hence the widget is called a "bullet button". Just install the widget, and presto-chango-alakazam, no more assault weapon.

Peter Paul Mauser may may have invented the basic idea of using the tip of a cartridge to pop the magazine. M98 Mausers, 1903 Springfields, and P14/M1917 Enfields all have "bullet buttons". The 1909 Argentine Mauser doesn't have a bullet button; it's mag release is in the trigger guard.

Here's a web page that has more info: http://www.scopedin.com/product-reviews/ar-15-equipment/the-bullet-button-magazine-release/

If I've messed up, some forum members who are residents of the PRK will be along shortly to clean things up.

--Bob
pitted bore

Postby thebrassnuckles » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:50 am

Sorry I didnt see that last reply..

the previous poster hit it on the nose.
a bullet button is a device that c verts your magazines from detachable to fixed, thus allowing the "evil features" such as a flash hider, pistol grip, forward pistol grip, collapsible buttstock etc.

here are several examples:
My 450 requires a bullet button, due to the pistol grip on it.
My BIL's national match M1A requires a Bullet Button due to the flash hider
My FIL's scout M1A does not require a bullet button because he swapped out the flash hider for a muzzle brake.
My FIL's M1Carbine does not need a bullet button due to the complete lack of evil features
My AK requires a bullet button because I put a pistol grip on it, I originally had a "monsterman" grip on it that was not considered a pistol grip, but it is queer so it removed it and put on a bullet button.. (not in that order if the CA DOJ is watching :roll: )
My FIL's Saiga does not require a bullet button because it does not have a pistol grip.
My FIL's "Registered Assault Weapon" also known as a standard M4 in the rest of america does not require a bullet button because it s a colt, and he had it before they banned them, and he registered it. now you may think cool so he can put a shorter barrel on it and all that cool Poo but... no.

a CA RAW is just a rifle with a pistol grip and detachable magazines. :|

how a flash hider opposed to a muzzle brake makes a rifle more deadly is beyond me...

If anything it makes it more-so, in the case of the 450b if designed properly, it allows for faster follow up shots (albeit uneccesary with our little monster :twisted:)

I dont get it.... but I'm not Liberal Fuckwad, so how could I understand? :roll:
thebrassnuckles

Postby wildcatter » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:49 pm

Ok, I get it now, The Guys in Obama-Fornia talk differently, but seem to get around the crazies pretty well..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

PreviousNext

Return to Firearms