Ruger Mini 14/30's in 7.62x45 Czech?

AR15, AK47, FAL, Bolt, Hangun, etc... If I find we need it I will expand this forum.

Moderator: MudBug

Ruger Mini 14/30's in 7.62x45 Czech?

Postby fsrmg1 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:42 am

I know that Ruger Mini 14/30 was originally designed around the 5.56 NATO round, but I feel that for all around use, there are better calibers available. I think that 6.8x42mm Remington round was a good start, but why did they go with the 30 Remington as a parent case and not use something of the 7.62x39mm head size but longer. This would have given it a bit more (much needed) boiler room along with already having correct size recess on the bolt face for the AR’s and Mini’s.

I also think that one of the best intermediate military calibers designed has been left out in the cold. This is the 7.62x45mm Czech. With modern propellants loaded to similar pressures as the NATO rounds, it would come close to the old 300 Savage or new 30 Rem AR round, but still be of the smaller head size. The only problem is that its’ overall length is just a hair too long to fit in a factory magazine (I know, I’ve tried). I just wonder if the Mini could be converted to take the vz 52 or 58 magazines? They look to use the same lockup principle as the Mini. Besides me, has anybody thought of this yet?
fsrmg1

Return to Firearms