sig 556 short mags?

AR15, AK47, FAL, Bolt, Hangun, etc... If I find we need it I will expand this forum.

Moderator: MudBug

sig 556 short mags?

Postby bushmeister » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:25 am

I love hunting with my 450, and I like the sig 556 magazines because they dont make noise when they hit stuff... but they are just too long for everyday deer hunting. Does anyone know if they make a shorter version than the 30 rd? Or if there are any short polymer ones that will feed the 450? I guess I could insulate my factory 450 rounder if needed with some treestand tape, but I'd prefer just to get a polymer shorty. My internet searches are coming up short. Any ideas?

BM
bushmeister

Re: sig 556 short mags?

Postby wildcatter » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:28 am

Markey, not an expert on mag availability, but have you given any thought to mod'ing an existing short polymer? A half inch round rat-tail file and five minutes, to the follower, could be an answer..

..t
Last edited by wildcatter on Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:06 am

bushmeister wrote:I love hunting with my 450, and I like the sig 556 magazines because they dont make noise when they hit stuff... but they are just too long for everyday deer hunting. Does anyone know if they make a shorter version than the 30 rd? Or if there are any short polymer ones that will feed the 450? I guess I could insulate my factory 450 rounder if needed with some treestand tape, but I'd prefer just to get a polymer shorty. My internet searches are coming up short. Any ideas?

BM

Now I wished I had saved the box they came in. I could have looked for a web site or a phn #.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby bushmeister » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:44 pm

wildcatter wrote:Markey, not an expert on mag availability, but have you given any thought to mod'ing an existing short polymer? A half inch round rat-tail file and five minutes, to the follower, could be an answer..

..t

I could certainly do that. Do you know of any short polymers available that would be good candidates?
bushmeister

Postby thatguy » Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:08 pm

bushmeister wrote:
wildcatter wrote:Markey, not an expert on mag availability, but have you given any thought to mod'ing an existing short polymer? A half inch round rat-tail file and five minutes, to the follower, could be an answer..

..t

I could certainly do that. Do you know of any short polymers available that would be good candidates?

20 rd Pmags are easy to convert... I am using tan/coyote colored ones for the 450B and black for 5.56 for easy ID at a glance..

I used a dremal to get as much of the front ridge out from both ends - then used a small file to remove the rest of the ridge.. I used a bench grinder to remove the 'bullet outline' on the follower.. Some have used JB Weld to reshape the follower, but I just left my skeletized..

So far no issues with failure to feed or anything..

Brian
If you are on Facebook, check out the 450 Bushmaster "Thumper" group I created.. We are always looking for new members and don't forget to share any pictures you have...
thatguy

Return to Firearms