Can win 94 be hacked?

AR15, AK47, FAL, Bolt, Hangun, etc... If I find we need it I will expand this forum.

Moderator: MudBug

Can win 94 be hacked?

Postby Mike » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:53 pm

Guys, I know nothing about winchester model 94's. Mine I bought at a yardsale years ago for 30 bucks. Serial number says it was made in 1949.

Is is strong enough to chamber it in 450 bushmaster? If so, does anyone have any Idea whom I might talk to to help me with the feed rail mods???
Mike

Re: Can win 94 be hacked?

Postby wildcatter » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:01 pm

Mike wrote:Guys, I know nothing about winchester model 94's. Mine I bought at a yardsale years ago for 30 bucks. Serial number says it was made in 1949.

Is is strong enough to chamber it in 450 bushmaster? If so, does anyone have any Idea whom I might talk to to help me with the feed rail mods???

Mikey, it prolly is convertible, but, that thing is prolly worth some mulla and shouldn't be converted. But then again if it's got any deficiencies or for some reason its not worth allot of dough, then it could be a great candidate. But I may not be the real expert here, as we've got some serious guys here that are really up on that platform. What say guys, am I even close and what of a 94/450??..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby pitted bore » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:07 pm

Mike-
Wildcatter is correct (of course). Depending on condition, your Model 94 may be worth 20X what you paid for it. Spend some time poking around on AuctionArms and gunbroker to find out what asking and selling prices might be for your rifle.

Unless you have a tame gunsmith that works for minimum wage, the cost of converting your 30-30 is likely to be high. what barrel are you thinking of installing? Let me know if you reach the stage of needing a chambering reamer.

As nearly as I can find, the 450B and 30-30 operate at about the same pressures. However, the 450B produces more recoil than the 30-30. The 30-30 170-grain bullet has a muzzle velocity that is about the same as the 250-grain bullet from the 450B. While the rifle might contain the pressure, it also would be subject to more mechanical battering, which may lead to stressed or broken parts. Some lever guns are being produced in 454 Cassul, and the durability of these is still an open question.

Among lever guns, the 336 Marlin and the Winchester/Browning Model 71s could likely handle the 450 factory pressures.

If you're serious about pursuing this, you might ask the question in the forum over at levergunscommunity.com.

--Bob
pitted bore

Postby Mike » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:38 pm

Honestly, I refinished the gun and although I did a great job (took three years to do it the right way, rust blued and all) I cant find any one to give me anything close to fair market value. If I could find a buyer, Id sell it an put the money to better use ( to be read "make me an offer").
Mike

Postby thatguy » Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:43 am

Mike wrote:Honestly, I refinished the gun and although I did a great job (took three years to do it the right way, rust blued and all) I cant find any one to give me anything close to fair market value. If I could find a buyer, Id sell it an put the money to better use ( to be read "make me an offer").

Just curious.. Is it because you refinished it that no one is interested in it??

Brian
If you are on Facebook, check out the 450 Bushmaster "Thumper" group I created.. We are always looking for new members and don't forget to share any pictures you have...
thatguy

Postby Mike » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:37 am

"experts" say that when a gun is refinished it looses its value. But in reality, only a gun that has been refinished poorly does. Makes no sense to me. I shoulda left it alone and sold it for a bazillion dollars.

In my mind, I think it would be awesome for someone who prefers that style of rifle to end up with it and actually chase deer around with it. But, what do I know
Mike

Postby wildcatter » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:31 pm

Mike wrote:"experts" say that when a gun is refinished it looses its value. But in reality, only a gun that has been refinished poorly does. Makes no sense to me. I shoulda left it alone and sold it for a bazillion dollars.

In my mind, I think it would be awesome for someone who prefers that style of rifle to end up with it and actually chase deer around with it. But, what do I know

Are you saying you hosed the job, or, that the restoration is great, but the market went south?..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Mike » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:24 am

I personally think it went very well. Problem is that when I divulge the whole refinished thing-whether they can tell or not- the deal starts going south. That and the market went to pot.

Sad really, I see guns that are going for $1000+ with swirl marks and rounded corners in the metal and flat spots and shy spots on the wood.

Maybe Ill just rebarrel it for 375 winchester. Thats got a little more umph. EIther way,its a white elephant to me. Not really my taste in rifles, and I cant hunt with it in Ohio. Just a plinker really. Maybe ill just give it to the boy to play cowboys and injuns with.
Mike

Postby round 2 it » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:11 am

turning a model 94 into a 450b would likely lead to more problems than we could ever think of at one sitting. However, making it a 38-55 is a simple matter, and parts were available from midway. I had a bicententiel that some one had let ruin , I ordered a 38-55 barrel from midway, finished 26 in octagon , the only other thing I needed was a mag tube and spring. It is a real hoot to shoot, next to no recoil due to the added weight of the barrel. And I do like those straight wall cases.Image
round 2 it

Return to Firearms