Cast Boolits in the .450 B

General Reloading Discussion.

Moderator: MudBug

Cast Boolits in the .450 B

Postby BD1 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:50 pm

My upper having just completed the 200 round break in. I loaded up a work-up using some 300 grainers from a mold that Dan at Mountain Molds cut for me. As a shameless plug for Mountain Molds, (to whom I have no connection), the 2 cavity aluminum mold is a thing of beauty with both cavities dropping boolits as round as I can measure, exactly the same diameter and within 1% of each other by weight.

Good News: I had set the forward lube groove to accept the "body" crimp from a modified Lee FCD hoping to eliminate the boolit jump issue. This appears to have been successful as the 10 shot string produced an extreme spread in velocity of 58 fps, and an SD of 18. Those are encouraging numbers.

Bad News: Although I had 200 rounds of jacketed data to use to "tweak" Quickload, the resulting predicitons for this loading were way low, so I only shot the bottom of the load work up. Resulting velocities were 150 fps or so higher than what I was after for the top end of this loading, so I stopped there. 293 grains, lubed and checked, at an average velocity of 2,157 fps.
I have 40 rounds to pull, and that crimp I mentioned? Well, there's no pulling them with the collet puller, so it'll be vice grips and the slugs are going back into the melting pot.

If I can get the pics figured out, the attachment should be a shot of the boolit and cartridge.

No Luck on the pix. If I attach the original file, I get a "file size too large", if I shrink it with adobe I get an "extension bmp not accepted" Sorry.
BD
BD1

Location: Northern Maine, Working on the coast, but home is still Moosehead Lake.

Re: Cast Boolits in the .450 B

Postby BD1 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:08 pm

Boolit, cartridge and case head pix on Calguns for now, Until I figure out the pix posting procedure here.
BD
BD1

Location: Northern Maine, Working on the coast, but home is still Moosehead Lake.

Postby MudBug » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:53 pm

BD1 wrote:If I can get the pics figured out, the attachment should be a shot of the boolit and cartridge.

No Luck on the pix. If I attach the original file, I get a "file size too large", if I shrink it with adobe I get an "extension bmp not accepted" Sorry.
BD

Can you tell me the image size in both pixels and bytes (for example 900x300 pixels, 450 Kb) so I can check my settings to see if I can change it?
Eric

"A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

"War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd
MudBug
Site Admin

Postby fishhead » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:49 am

My upper just arrived and I'm notified that my shipment of 280 gr cast bullets is on it's way. The gas checked bullets are .755oal with .40nose to crimp and .380 meplat. My upper is a 16" carbine

Anyone have a suggestion for a starting load for these?

I have favored heavy bullets for caliber in the past so i'm very interested in the forums input on bullets that are 300+ grains.
fishhead

Postby BD1 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:10 am

Fishhead, if you load up a dummy to get me an OAL, let me know what powder and the actual weight of the boolit, I can probably get you close.
BD
BD1

Return to Reloading