230gr fmj's-which brand?????

General Reloading Discussion.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: 230gr fmj's-which brand?????

Postby 2zero6 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:13 pm

What about using solder instead of lead shot?
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - Benjamin Franklin."
Member #55 of the 450b forum.
2zero6

Postby wildcatter » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:10 pm

2zero6 wrote:What about using solder instead of lead shot?

Solder would of course work, but it would negate the need for exposed lead to meet the "No-FMJ's"requirement of some of these States.

How about a nose press die, like maybe a modified bullet seater, to put press in a dimple, into the nose of a FMJ. The dimple could be filled with a very small piece of lead (#12 shot?) and followed up with another bullet seater, that has, as it's only job, to flatten the lead. Using some kind of glue (I always like JB Weld), would assure the lead stays in place during some kind of a DNR inspection. This "lead-in-the-nose"thing", is actually Street Legal in any state and just goes to show.."they can't make a Gun-Control Law the really does affect us much"..given that we only need the time to scrutinize their abominations..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Al in Mi » Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:44 am

wildcatter wrote:
bushmeister wrote:gunnut, could you just drill a small hole in the front of those fmj's that you have (before you load them of course), and consider it legal for hunting? after all a hollowpoint is considered an expanding bullet. Or would that compromise the integrity of the bullet too much?
Just curious.
BM

Good idea, those Punch Bullets are total solids, Except, they have a very, very small, shallow hole drilled in the nose that excepts, what looks like a #12 shot pellet and then flattened flush with the Meplat. This very tiny amount of lead in the nose, tweaks the nose, of the agencies that think they are doing something and this bullet is legal in all 50 states..t

Catter, the .475 and .510 Punch Bullets I have shot, all had lead core bases, not sure how far the lead went up thou. They did have a little lead filled hollowpoint too, again, not sure how deep they went or if it went all the way thru.

Neat idea doing it to a 230gr FMJ thou.
Al in Mi

Postby wildcatter » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:54 am

Ok Al, I stand corrected, They are however a FMJ, with a lead core, with a spot of lead on the outside of the solid meplat, making them street legal, in "No-FMJ" or Solids States. This method, with the lead "ON" the meplat is their stock-in-trade to getting a real mean, effective bullet, to the masses. They designed it for all of us, of course, but the ban, in some of the states, was in the fore-front of their design parameters.

The Barnes Busters (which I had major input) are a similar design, in that it was never designed to expand, but took a different approach with a standard type design. What makes the B-Buster different, is the jacket is at least 6x times thicker, than std bullet jackets and the core is an actual Hard Lead, also sporting a large meplat. On a production basis, this approach is just cheaper to make, theoretically the punch bullet will out penetrate the Buster, but in real world experience, there is no real advantage to the punch bullet, unless there is a steel plate in front of the Moose. So, if the absolute extreme, is in your world and you don't mind the cost of the punch bullet being more than 2.5X more than the Barnes, get'em, they Will get the job done. However, if the pocket book is also a factor, and you're willing to settle for 99.999% of what the punch bullet will do terminally, then the Barnes Busters are your game. We can use the same arguments for the FMJ 230's, especially the FP-FMJ's. The round nose surplus are the cheapest by far and very, very effective, on all big game, world-wide, then comes my favorite, the FP-FMJ, which is slightly more expensive, then there is everything else. Yes the plated bullets should be shied away from, as their coating are usually to thin, at our speeds, but there are some, Hornady makes a 230 FP-tmj I like, but there are others. My recommendations? Well that's like me picking a woman for you, but You can do far worse than choosing the 230FP's from either Hornady or Nosler and I'm not sure that Nosler is making their's anymore. As a matter of fact if any of you guys get a hit on surplus 230gr fmj's, sing out..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Al in Mi » Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:27 pm

wildcatter wrote:Ok Al, I stand corrected, They are however a FMJ, with a lead core, with a spot of lead on the outside of the solid meplat, making them street legal, in "No-FMJ" or Solids States. This method, with the lead "ON" the meplat is their stock-in-trade to getting a real mean, effective bullet, to the masses. They designed it for all of us, of course, but the ban, in some of the states, was in the fore-front of their design parameters.

The Barnes Busters (which I had major input) are a similar design, in that it was never designed to expand, but took a different approach with a standard type design. What makes the B-Buster different, is the jacket is at least 6x times thicker, than std bullet jackets and the core is an actual Hard Lead, also sporting a large meplat. On a production basis, this approach is just cheaper to make, theoretically the punch bullet will out penetrate the Buster, but in real world experience, there is no real advantage to the punch bullet, unless there is a steel plate in front of the Moose. So, if the absolute extreme, is in your world and you don't mind the cost of the punch bullet being more than 2.5X more than the Barnes, get'em, they Will get the job done. However, if the pocket book is also a factor, and you're willing to settle for 99.999% of what the punch bullet will do terminally, then the Barnes Busters are your game. We can use the same arguments for the FMJ 230's, especially the FP-FMJ's. The round nose surplus are the cheapest by far and very, very effective, on all big game, world-wide, then comes my favorite, the FP-FMJ, which is slightly more expensive, then there is everything else. Yes the plated bullets should be shied away from, as their coating are usually to thin, at our speeds, but there are some, Hornady makes a 230 FP-tmj I like, but there are others. My recommendations? Well that's like me picking a woman for you, but You can do far worse than choosing the 230FP's from either Hornady or Nosler and I'm not sure that Nosler is making their's anymore. As a matter of fact if any of you guys get a hit on surplus 230gr fmj's, sing out..t

Catter, next time you talk to Barnes, tell them there is a need for a .510 Buster bullet, then my 50 Alaskan, 50-110, and 500AHR won't feel so left out :o
Al in Mi

Postby wildcatter » Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:16 pm

Al, considering the market, what bullet weight..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Postby Al in Mi » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:18 pm

500-525gr would be nice. :D
Al in Mi

Postby wildcatter » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:22 pm

Al in Mi wrote:500-525gr would be nice. :D

Ok, and what would be the approximate length of a bullet of those weights, I'd think it be about in the 1.3" area? y/n?
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Postby slash2 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:45 am

gunnut wrote:I'm using "zero"s for my R&D and 45acps they work just fine and are fairly accurate. The most accurate 230fmj I have used so far are the Siearra. Stay away from the copper clad,TMJ and plated stuff. The jacket is just to thin for 450B use. They can and do come apart going down range. Just to be fair, I'm pushing the 230FMJ to 2600+fps.

I'm a fan a of Zero bullets myself gunnut, just ordered another 1000, can't beat the price, especially with free shipping. What load are you using?
/2
slash2

Postby gunnut » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:46 am

I've been pushing them to about 2600fps with 45grns of LiL Gun. PMC small rifle magnum primers.hornady cases. medium side crimp. 2.10 oal.
gunnut

PreviousNext

Return to Reloading