Range/load data/+pics on photo bucket

General Reloading Discussion.

Moderator: MudBug

Range/load data/+pics on photo bucket

Postby 450pwr » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:04 pm

:D Very Happy with the results at the range this morning..!! I was sighting my scope in using 3x9 @ 100 yards with the following load data. Hornady brass, winchester standard small rifle primer, 36grains vith 110, 225gr hornady flextip bullet. My 6th shot hit around 8 oclock just on the target, made dope change, 7th shot 1 oclock inside target, then 8,9, & 10 centered under the bulls eye touching...!!! I love the 450 Bushmaster and amazed at how Accurate it is!@#? :lol: Hope to get a deer before season ends and I will post later. If you want you can go to photo bucket and type 450pwr then click on my user profile to see pics of the rifle and target. Thanks and HAPPY NEW YEAR AND GOD BLESS AMERICA....!!!! :mrgreen:
450pwr

Re: Range/load data/+pics on photo bucket

Postby paulmark3010 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:22 pm

Any idea the fps? I got some H110 and some 225s to try that. You ever try H110 with the 200s? I got some blemished 200s from Midway that I would like to use some H110 on. :twisted:
paulmark3010

Postby 450pwr » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:05 pm

Sorry, I don't know the FPS, Based on primers I might be able to squeeze in another grain or 2. Very Happy with 36 so I will stay there for now along as groups stay tight. I am mainly looking for an accurate hunting load. A LOT of people like H110 and it's a great powder but it can have loading issues (pressure spike) problems if your not care full... I used it in a 300 whisper with BAD results and won't touch H110 again. Just my experience...! I am NEW to the Bushmaster so I don't have a lot of knowledge yet with what loads, powders, and bullets yet but I will post both good and bad as I progress. I'm sure the 200 would be GREAT along with H110...!!! I get most of my information from load books and the very HELPFUL & FRIENDLY people on this site. I'm sure some one here with more experience can help you out with your question. Thanks 8-)
450pwr

Postby commander faschisto » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:37 pm

Welcome to the campfire, 450pwr...I see the 450b insanity is just starting to get hold of you! For whatever good reason, the 450b is inherently very accurate with a variety of loads and bullet weights. ;)

There's a ton of load data of all sorts for the 450b on this site, just use the various search functions. Enjoy!
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby Hoot » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:42 pm

Unfortunately, there are no (to my knowledge) temperature compensated powders in the burn range we need for this caliber. The closest candidate that I know of is H4198 and it is generally considered too slow for the lighter bullets we can load into the 450b. In all fairness, I have never tried it, but I bet Tim has.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby wildcatter » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:04 pm

Hoot wrote:Unfortunately, there are no (to my knowledge) temperature compensated powders in the burn range we need for this caliber. The closest candidate that I know of is H4198 and it is generally considered too slow for the lighter bullets we can load into the 450b. In all fairness, I have never tried it, but I bet Tim has.

Hoot

I never really understood what exactly was "Temperature Compensated". If were talking about fracturing the long grains of powder, as seen in the slower IMR Powders, then here is a little ditty sure to fascinate or worst confuse the issue.. http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD=ADA510537 ..

Either of the 4198's are way to slow for our use and unless you Arc-Weld the bullet to the case, one can not get enough Bullet Pull going, to burn 4198 efficiently. Of course, if Huge Fireballs and slow speeds are the goal and you can put up with sooting so bad, that at times it will collapse the case in the chamber then maybe 4198 is for you. Of course TexasSheepDog loves the Fireballs, he says he can read in the dark better and I thought he was using the Fireball for cooking S'mores, go figure.

Now then, if temperature's are a problem, in igniting the powder, as in, "it's cold out"!! Then several things come to mind, changing AO's, from say Point Barrow, moving to Tex's AO could be a cure, or maybe just using a faster powder, could be a cure.

In my Klondike days, Professionally Hunting Caribou, I saw days wherein the 4895 powder, I was using in my -06, go click-bang, ever time I tried it, until I started to put that same ammo, on the same click-bang day, inside of my Arctic Parka, next to my body, only taking it out for a shot. This is a somewhat hazardous endeavor, especially when Mrs. Momma Moose says,.."Well, well, he's got an empty gun and I've got all the time in the world, to stomp holes in this silly, unarmed man". I started to use Blue Dot for my 30-06, when the temperatures dropped below -35 (I one time worked in -85, all night!). The speeds were way slower, using blue dot and 180gr Sierras, but sufficiently fast enough to kill what need to be killed and Mr.Click-Bang, went totally away.

If you were to assume that 1680, for over-all performance, was our slowest burning powder and Blue Dot our fastest burning powder, two things come to mind. First most of these powders, in this class are either Ball type or Flake and either, will not break-up, when the temperatures go south. Two, all of powders, in the afore mentioned range, are sufficiently fast enough to ignite under the coldest of conditions. If you were really going to go into serious Arctic conditions, then Federal 215 large rifle primers and Remmy 7 1/2's for small rifle primers, will over come any cold weather ignition worries, because they have the industry's highest Brisance rating and will get fast powders burning, no matter how cold it gets.

I hope I didn't confuse the issue, much..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:51 pm

Well, my AO is a bit nippy too. It was 27 degrees about 10PM at the sheepdawg compound tonight. We get pretty cold up here around Texoma/ Red river zones. Those nasty Colorado cold fronts just sweep unhindered across the Texas/Oklahoma plains, commonly hitting us pretty hard with Sub-freezing temps and ice storms and even some impressive snow storms occasionally. May sound like a walk in the park but consider we had 70+ days of temps over 100 last summer and no rain, to sub freezing temps! It's a bit of a shock to everything with a pulse or a need for water. I would give up those 100+ degree days for temps closer to 40-55 in a heartbeat. As for the muzzle flash issue... I like that orange fireball cuz it incinerates the mosquitoes and deer flies and I can also flash pop my Orvill Riddenbachers popcorn. Tastes funny, but I just add more butter.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby 450pwr » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:00 am

YEP....!!!! I have the 450 bug...I got bit hard and I Like it... :lol: Interesting on the powder primer info, thanks for sharing.
450pwr

Postby commander faschisto » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:34 pm

Wildcatter should feel like a dope dealer..."here, kiddies, just try this, just this once, 'cuz its fun!". Had I only known... :lol:
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:19 am

Hence the inspiration to make this Avatar just for you guys!
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Next

Return to Reloading