Getting started reloading

General Reloading Discussion.

Moderator: MudBug

Getting started reloading

Postby Aries » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:55 pm

Hello,
I am new here and I just bought a 450 Bushmaster upper. I am wanting to know what might be a reasonable priced reloading set up to start with. I do not want to spend a lot, but I do want a nice set up. I would also like to be able to relaod 223 and a few pistol caliber rounds. Thanks in advanced for your suggestions.
Aries
Aries

Re: Getting started reloading

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:07 pm

I have the RCBS Rock Chucker Kit. I bought it back in 1984. I still use it exclusively for my reloading needs. I do have some nicer accessories to go along with it and have since upgraded to an electronic scale but the beam scales are good starters. BTW, I haved used my same beam scale since 1984 so I figured 2011 would be a good year to upgrade. I reload for 5 different pistol and 7 different Rifle cartridges. My Rock Chucker does them all. No Progressive or Turret Presses here yet. Single Stage is the best way to go as a beginner. It keeps you focused and on task. The starter kits for reloading presses are a good foundation, but you will need accessories. Case Prep is extremely important. Lyman and Lee make great accessories as does RCBS, Hornady, You name it. I buy my powder and primers locally so I don't have to pay haz shipping and I would suggest that you find a local source for those components if possible. If not, well you have come to the right place here, because if it can be found on line, our guys have probably already got it saved to their book marks...LOL.
I am but one person and one opinion here. Around here, opinions are like arm pits, everyone has at least one or two and the other guy probably thinks they stink. But we are a cordial bunch and we do not insult each others' opinions or attack each other. We Discuss options, stories and experiences and this is indeed a VERY civil campfire. These guys police themselves. Of course you will have guys like WildCatter and myself horseplaying and stealing each others S'mores and throwing flaming marshmallows at each other but usually nobody gets hurt..... Just ignore those of us who act like sugared up ten year olds drinking Red Bull...What goes up must come down and we will either calm down or pass out from sheer exhaustion eventually.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby 9x19MdM » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:22 pm

Aries wrote:Hello,
I am new here and I just bought a 450 Bushmaster upper. I am wanting to know what might be a reasonable priced reloading set up to start with. I do not want to spend a lot, but I do want a nice set up. I would also like to be able to relaod 223 and a few pistol caliber rounds. Thanks in advanced for your suggestions.
Aries

Hey neighbor!

I'm also considering to start reloading and I've pretty much decided on RCBS equipment, at least for the basics. The older RCBS RC II press or the newer Supreme are the single stage one's to consider.

I thought I had a whole setup bought just before Christmas and then the seller flaked out and called me about 30 min's before he was to stop by my work and drop everything off.
9x19MdM

Postby swiftdriver » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:48 pm

As someone who has been reloading for years, I think the advice by our moderator is right on. I have two progressive presses, two turret presses , and a few single presses. I find myself using my single stage presses all the time. There are basic reloading packages available from most top manufacturers. RCBS or Redding are probably my favorites but there are many good makes. I recommend you get a press that has a frame constructed of cast iron as these are usually of higher quality regardless of manufacturer. The next suggestion I have is to get a good reloading manual and READ it. The front section of most manuals have good directions for beginning re loaders. One last word of advice, please stick to RELIABLE published data and heed all the warnings until you have a lot of experience. Good luck with your reloading, it is more than a means to an end and has been a source of enjoyment to me for years. Just wait until you take your first game animal with ammo you developed and reloaded yourself. Happy hunting, Kirk
swiftdriver

Postby BayouBob » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:43 pm

Welcome to the club. The advice on a reloading kit is sound. For around $300 you can get all the basics including a manual. You can sometimes find a bargain on fleabay for a press but it usually won't have all the accessories and your on your own to figure it all out. Midway USA and Midsouth Shooters Supply are good places to buy and their prices are usually pretty close to fleabay prices with great service. Reloading will become a passion in and of itself. The satisfaction of creating something yourself that does a job is tremendous. Modern ammunition is light years ahead in both quality and variety of what was available 40 years ago when a lot of us started reloading but you can still build ammo that is only possible through reloading. By the way, you won't save money; you'll just shoot more!
My Daddy was wrong when he said: "When a man turns 60 he ought to be able to trade his testicles in on a new set of teeth." Oatmeal and soup don't sound too bad.
BayouBob

Postby kottke_35 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:23 am

Hello and welcome! I have just started getting into reloading this year. I got the Lee classic press cause thats what my pops had when I was growing up. I got the starters kit and it seems to be working pretty well. It's more affordably priced if you have an earning like mine! But nontheless it works well and BB is right, I have not saved money, I've been shooting more!

The RCBS and Hornady presses seem to be a little more stout but I have no experience with them. Get what your budget can afford and go have fun. Of course, be safe doing it.

B.
Warriors don't shoot bull's-eyes.

” Blessed are those, who in the face of death, focus on the front sight.”
-Col.. Jeff Cooper
kottke_35

Postby Aries » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:46 am

Wow! Thanks for the information. I will start saving up for a simple set up.
I can start looking on line some now. I spent what I had getting some ammo.
I will save the brass. Ran around Little Rock when I got this upper for some ammo
and only one place had it. It was 39.99 a box (Hornady). I bought one box.
I order from Cheaper than Dirt and saved some cash. It cost me 25.91 plus a little freight.
Aries
Also, hello neighbors!
Aries

Postby Jeepejeep » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:56 am

I have to echo that Tex said. I started reloading a year before him with the same set up and it's still going strong. Take your time, get 2 or 3 loading manuals and READ THEM! Be safe and any questions you have, there are some very informed guys here who are more than happy to help you out. Welcome and have fun!
Jim
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."Col. Jeff Cooper
Jeepejeep

Postby FirstNation » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:13 am

Aries, I currently reload with an RCBS RS-5, which is one of their economy units and works very well, but if you're just starting out, I would also recommend Lee. The Lee Anniversary kit in my opinion is a great way to start, it contains everything you could possibly need to start reloading right away, and the price can't be beat. Lee's dies are also less expensive than the others and they hold up just fine. They are quicker and easier to adjust also. Look on Ebay. If/when you ramp it up and wind up loading many different calibers, you can always move up to an RCBS or Hornady set up, they are generally beefier units. Although RCBS is excellent when it comes to replacing broken items usually at no cost to the customer, the biggest problem I used to have with RCBS was simply getting thru to someone on the phone. I haven't bought a set of RCBS dies for over 10 years for that reason. I purchased a set of Hornady dies for my .450. Just my two cents!
FirstNation

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:27 am

Oh. We can find ammo cheaper than that! Last place I saw on line was 23.99 a box. I post something on it last week or so ago.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Next

Return to Reloading