Issues

General Reloading Discussion.

Moderator: MudBug

Issues

Postby buckhead » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:57 am

How do I convince my wife to let me get started in reloading? She has this idea that I will hurt myself and blow up my gun or guns. I have several different calibers that I shoot and with the 450 coming along I think it is worth my effort to reload, currently I shoot 22-250, 308, 7mm rem mag, 270 and now the 450 I have a ton of brass in 270 and 22-250 laying around. I just want a single stage loader and I have a friend that can get me all the components at cost, I just have to get her blessing.
buckhead

Re: Issues

Postby commander faschisto » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:50 am

Easy...just compare price per round, retail vs. reload! Also, once you have the basic equipment, the more you reload, the less the equipment cost per round, over time...
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby BayouBob » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:23 am

Show her how much money you can save but don't let her figure out that you won't save money; you'll just shoot more!
My Daddy was wrong when he said: "When a man turns 60 he ought to be able to trade his testicles in on a new set of teeth." Oatmeal and soup don't sound too bad.
BayouBob

Postby BillytheKid » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:34 am

Go ahead and purchase a quality reloading manual, and study all of the reloading safety rules. Then hand the book to her and ask her to quiz you on them.

Just don't miss any!
"Now I am Breitbart, and there are millions more of us." - Me
BillytheKid

Postby Jim in Houston » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:31 pm

Even a very expensive set of reloading equipment (approx $500) will pay out after reloading about 450 rounds for the 450 bushmaster - I ran the math before sprining for mine. If you are getting the equipment at cost, you may make the money back with half of that.

My big problem was where to reload, as I live in a townhouse with no basement, rec room, or space for a permanent work bench in the garage. I finally built a 2x4 loading surface from 1/2" plywood that attaches to my Sear's Craftsman workmate, and I set that up in the garage. AC was from a fan I set up in the door from the kitchen, so that I could work in the summer here in Houston.

So, the cost savings, plus having a space to work in that didn't involve the dining room table, worked for me.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby buckhead » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:35 pm

She say she doesn't care about the cost of new ammo, don't think she understands the cost of all the ammo I shoot and I like the satisfaction of doing things myself
buckhead

Postby BillytheKid » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:04 pm

Oh, she does care about the cost, believe me, it's safety thing is a conversational parry. What she really doesn't want is MORE shooting, and believes the reloading thing will only bring more and more...

Time to counter parry....
"Now I am Breitbart, and there are millions more of us." - Me
BillytheKid

Postby buckhead » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:31 pm

Actually we shoot together she likes shooting just not the heavy calibers and archery also
buckhead

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:13 pm

Well, I posted a response to this, but somehow it got deleted or never posted.
I stock pile components. I have been since the early 1990s. I don't stock pile most of my most used powders but there are a couple that I do. (pistol powders). Since I bought most of my components back in the 90s, the ammo I am loading is cheaper than the ammo who's components I have just recently started to acquire. But since I stock up, I can load as I go. That means that I don't have large quantities of live ammo just sitting in storage. Yeah, I do have some defensive munitions stock-piled but that's a different issue. When I do load certain rounds, I am producing them at 1995 prices. When it comes to 7mm Rem Mag, 30-06, 32-20, and 30-30, I load as I go. I don't keep large quantities of "Live" ammo for these rounds. Shotgun ammo, I buy in bulk. I don't reload for shotguns.
But being able to load fresh ammo for my deer rifles when needed with components purchased through time and well researched deals and sales, does save money and since I have been loading since 1984, my stuff paid for itself a long time ago. I did the numbers once.... I forget the details, but done right and by taking advantage of sales reloading can save you $$. I stock piled brass and bought in bulk back in the 1990s. I have enough brass today in 30-06 and 7mm Mag that I could sell it off and buy a turret press and still make out like a bandit.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby BayouBob » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:58 am

If safety really is a concern, find a friend who reloads and does it right and have him give her a demonstration of how safe it is. There is also tons of information on the web about reloading. If she chooses not to believe you then you have a different problem.
My Daddy was wrong when he said: "When a man turns 60 he ought to be able to trade his testicles in on a new set of teeth." Oatmeal and soup don't sound too bad.
BayouBob

Next

Return to Reloading