Hornady dies

General Reloading Discussion.

Moderator: MudBug

Hornady dies

Postby Aries » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:24 pm

Anyone know why to get any Hornady 450 Bushmaster dies?
I have looked on line. A lot of 0 factory stocks.
Thanks , Aries
Aries

Re: Hornady dies

Postby Jim in Houston » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:15 pm

They are listed here - http://www.riflemagazine.com/catalog/detail.cfm?page=51&Productid=1030 and it doesn't say not in stock. I would call first.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:06 pm

Keep an eye on this source. They put dies on sale all the time
http://www.natchezss.com/Category.cfm?c ... om%20Grade™%20Rifle%204-Die%20Set%20-%20Series%20V%20-%20.450%20Bushmaster
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby CT450 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:24 pm

I just picked up a set on gunbroker today. But the die sets are on intergalactic backorder. I have searched and called everywhere. I just cancelled my backorders today with cabelas and midway that have been going since october. Hornady couldnt even give me an ETA. You can put a set together piece by piece. The dies are out there. I was having a hard time finding the expander die. I do have the hornady factory p/n's for each individually. i will post them if you want. Another route would be CH4D dies. I contacted them as well. But the owner Dave, has just had surgery and hasnt gotten back to me yet.
CT450

Postby Hoot » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:28 pm

CT450 wrote:I just picked up a set on gunbroker today. But the die sets are on intergalactic backorder. I have searched and called everywhere. I just cancelled my backorders today with cabelas and midway that have been going since october. Hornady couldnt even give me an ETA. You can put a set together piece by piece. The dies are out there. I was having a hard time finding the expander die. I do have the hornady factory p/n's for each individually. i will post them if you want. Another route would be CH4D dies. I contacted them as well. But the owner Dave, has just had surgery and hasnt gotten back to me yet.

Believe it or not, the expander die is not necessary and robs native neck tension. By that I mean, neck tension is the name of the game. More so with lighter bullets who get moving more easily than the heavier ones. Anyway, if you expand the necks and then crimp them back down, you will end up with a slight loss of tension than if you leave them unexpanded and seat the bullet. Then crimp afterward. The Hornady seating die does a great job of aligning the bullet prior to seating and if you chamfer the inside just a touch, the bullets start without the expander. At least that's been my experience. I have not used my expander in over 1k rounds of reloading the 450b. I think I recall using it the first 20 I did.

Hoot
Last edited by Hoot on Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby CT450 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:17 pm

Thanks for the tip hoot. New to this cartridge any other suggestions you have would be appreciated as well.
CT450

Postby Jim in Houston » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:51 am

I have had the same experience as Hoot - my expander die is collecting dust and thre is no problem seating the bullet in an un-expanded case. Also, the 450BM seating die is the same as the 4hornady 460 S&W .452 seater die #044721, in case you buy them individually and can't t find the one for the 450 - found this out from hornady,when I bought one from them to load ftx 225's._
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby Aries » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:40 am

Jim in Houston wrote:They are listed here - http://www.riflemagazine.com/catalog/detail.cfm?page=51&Productid=1030 and it doesn't say not in stock. I would call first.

Yes they are on back order as well.
:(
Aries
Aries

Postby Aries » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:42 am

Thanks for the help. I did hit the send me an email when these dies are
back in stock on several sights.
So, I do not need the expanded die. Ok.
I might be able to get the individual dies. I will look for it that way.
Aries
Aries

Postby CT450 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:20 am

There are taper crimp and sizer dies on ebay right now, from Wholsale hunter. I called them and they are in stock. They also have a website if you dont want to deal with ebay.
CT450

Next

Return to Reloading