Sub-Sonics

General Reloading Discussion.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Sub-Sonics

Postby wildcatter » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:10 pm

artalon wrote:I found some 425gr that were swedged to 452. Ill play with blue dot and unique
the blue dots probably going to be the ticket :D

Keep it up, you guys are doing good. I've got this project for a No-Such-Name, outfit, so we gotta be good..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby pitted bore » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:43 pm

BD1 wrote:I've tried Unique with 405 grainers. It did not cycle the action. Haven't tried Blue Dot.
BD

Here's the thread in which BD1 reported his results with Unique at 1030 fps with 413-grain cast bullets:
LINK to thread.

And here's an interesting quote from last spring:
wildcatter wrote: . . . But 400grainers with something like blue dot or maybe 2400, loaded down to 1050fps, those might just function the 16" system just fine, try it out and holler back..t
A link to the post and thread with that quote: http://450bushmaster.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=597&start=16

Trying to work up this load is like trying to ride a unicycle on a high tight rope; there are lots of things that have to balance, and there is the possibility of disaster if they don't. I would be inclined to follow wildcatter's advice and stay away from reduced loads with double-based ball powders. I've worked briefly with a new powder, Alliant Power Pro 300-MP, that is described as being a bit faster than Lil'Gun in burn rate. With loads that were less than case filling, there were no ka-boomy pressure problems, but there were some click-pop fizzles with lots of unburned powder. I took those as a sign that I was on the edge of perhaps major difficulties, and quit trying to use that powder for a job it wasn't designed to do.

There exists the possibility of real trouble when going outside of lab-tested data. Until I find out for sure what's happening, I'm not bashful about sandbagging the rig and staying behind a big tree while pulling the trigger with a long string.

--Bob
pitted bore

Postby wildcatter » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:27 pm

Bad Bob, you caught me again, buuttt, I'm looking for fresh ideas or data, hence, I'm encouraging new developments, for that balancing act you're talking about..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby artalon » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:25 am

Bump.
I havent been working on loads yet, but the silencer is coming along
MOLON LABE
artalon

Postby 67camaro » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:25 pm

artalon wrote:I found some 425gr that were swedged to 452. Ill play with blue dot and unique
the blue dots probably going to be the ticket :D

I look forward to your results. I currently reload 454 casull and have a 450 upper in the mail and would be really interested in using some of the heavier bullets not found in the manuals. I bought a bunch of 300 plus gr bullets for my 454 including some 405gr from beartooth bullets and would like to know if they would be useable in the 450 upper also.
67camaro

Postby artalon » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:43 am

I've loaded both the 405 and 300 gr and they work great, as soon as my chrony comes in Ill post my loads and findings
MOLON LABE
artalon

Postby artalon » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:54 pm

took out a prototype tonight :D with factory loads, a few mods like build it out of aluminum and a bit shorter should be it
MOLON LABE
artalon

Postby MOUNTIN DU » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:55 pm

:? the snow should melting up there by now :| any postable headway on those subsonics? 8-)
hunt when it's cold; fish when it's not.
South Louisiana IS the sportsman's paradise!
MOUNTIN DU

Postby Siringo » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:14 pm

I still need to work on heavy weights at 1200 fps or so. Need them for Beaver Hut busting to get the little critters on the swim during the day!!
Siringo

Postby artalon » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:02 pm

OK I'm back, been busy (16 hour days for 4 months straight) quit that job started another :lol:
now that its warm and have a chrono I'll get back to work
MOLON LABE
artalon

Previous

Return to Reloading