Press Recommendations???

General Reloading Discussion.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Press Recommendations???

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:12 am

Well, all my hard work and OT has paid off and I have ordered a new Rockchucker to take some of the duty off my circa 1983 Rockchucker. Now I can speed things up a bit and maybe even recruit my brass monkeys to put in some press time.
Maybe. One nice thing is with thumper, I can set up the LeGendre Crimp on one press and the seating die or taper crimp on the other. :mrgreen:
And on top of that, I have a rebate coupon!
I'm a happy camper!
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby jerdebson » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:48 am

I started off with my RockChucker and still use it for some rifle reloading. I had a Hornady Pro-7 for years then got a Pro-Jector and have used it for years now. Hornady now has a new Lock-n-Load Progressive but I don't reload enough anymore to "NEED" it.

I suggest to start with a Single Stage like the RCBS Rock Chucker and go from there as needed.

If you get into Competition shooting such as USPSA, SASS, etc a progressive is great
Jerry

NRA Benefactor Member, Whittington Center Life Member, USPSA Life Member, SASS Life Member, LJRC Life Member

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
jerdebson

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:41 pm

I've been using my old Rockchucker since 1984. It's still a work horse. I load approx eleven different cartridges, four are pistol cartridges, (32-20, 9mm, 38/.357Mag, 45ACP). An extra press will help me out.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby 1fullmag » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:33 pm

Dog have you ever
Thought about a turret press it's kinda nice to be able to leave a few dies set up for
A while?
1fullmag

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:33 pm

1fullmag wrote:Dog have you ever
Thought about a turret press it's kinda nice to be able to leave a few dies set up for
A while?

Yep. Everytime I do a 500 cnt run of 9mm or 45ACP. Can't decide what press to get. They all look too complicated, expensive and cause me to give up QC.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby jerdebson » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:42 am

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:
1fullmag wrote:Dog have you ever
A while?

Yep. Everytime I do a 500 cnt run of 9mm or 45ACP. Can't decide what press to get. They all look too complicated, expensive and cause me to give up QC.

TSD

I have used a Hornady ProJector for .45acp, 9mm, .223, 9x23S+P and a few others. When I competed nearly weekly it was the only way I could keep up with the demand. If you can get a smooth steady action they will make very accurate ammo. But YMMV
Jerry

NRA Benefactor Member, Whittington Center Life Member, USPSA Life Member, SASS Life Member, LJRC Life Member

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
jerdebson

Postby Jim in Houston » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:22 am

Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Previous

Return to Reloading