newbe ?

General Reloading Discussion.

Moderator: MudBug

newbe ?

Postby longrangedog1000yd » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:53 pm

just got a new bushmaster450 upper 20" barrel,waiting for lower and lpk to come in, going to put a 2x7 scope on it,may go vortex or leo, all i can find is hornady brass and dies, so ill get from midway but what about bullets? it will be a hog and deer rifle what do you recomend? and what kind of accuracy can i expect? and as i understand it is a 200 yd weapon ? and has anybody loaded them on a dillion?
longrangedog1000yd

Re: newbe ?

Postby Hoot » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:59 pm

Welcome aboard. Good choice on the 20" barrel. If they hadn't just sold them out,I would have recommended picking un some of the 250gr FTX blems at Midway that they had on sale all month. Same as the factory loads, but not as expensivIe as new-new ones and every bit as good a quality judging from the ones I got. Next best choice for affordability and to get some experience under your belt before buying the more expensive ones, are the 225gr FTX. They shoot 1 MOA or less for 5-shot groups at 100 yards, over 38gr of Lil Gun powder and Remington 7 1/2 primers. Easy to get a good taper crimp into their cannelure at 2.15 COL. Just a rock solid performing load period. You can get a box of 100 of them for $25 from manventureoutpost.com. Another good choice are the Hornady 240gr XTP Mags. Same recipe. You can get boxes of 100 for $25 from manventureoutpost. They're good performers as well and also offer an easy crimp into their cannelure.

Any other questions, ask away.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby wildcatter » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:07 pm

longrangedog1000yd wrote:just got a new bushmaster450 upper 20" barrel,waiting for lower and lpk to come in, going to put a 2x7 scope on it,may go vortex or leo, all i can find is hornady brass and dies, so ill get from midway but what about bullets? it will be a hog and deer rifle what do you recomend? and what kind of accuracy can i expect? and as i understand it is a 200 yd weapon ? and has anybody loaded them on a dillion?

Welcome aboard Matey,

Just out of curiosity, where did you hear that this is a 200yd weapon??

As for bullets, this site is loaded with intel over bullets, so you might want to do some searching. However, keep in mind that the 45cal has been around so long that we have hundreds and hundreds of bullets choices, and we shoot them all. You'll need a little finesse with the .458 bullets, but they are no problem at all, if you reload and there is a ton of stuff to research here as well, on using .458" bullets.

See, the waters have been muddied by the other Big-Bore AR's and they have all manor of problems, that we just don't have.

Bullet selection, Availability, Costs, and Utility are our, advantageous Haul-Marks and you'll see, in your research, that 200yds is just a walk-in-the-park range, for the 450b... You'll see!!

This site is all about respect, as in, no swearing, no flaming and such, but it comes at a cost. The cost are that, you'll have to share your experiences, so we can all learn and advance this science.

So, pull up a stump, warm yourself by the fire and listen to a tale, by-a-man-named, TexasSheepDog. Just one word of advise, don't believe a word he says about the S'mores, he and that Commander Faschisto, tell the best Swamp Lies, hands down. Am I right guys??

As for myself, the guy with the Halo over his, I only tell the truth about those two ;) ..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Ghost Dog » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:48 pm

longrangedog1000yd, welcome!

As for myself, the guy with the Halo over his, I only tell the truth about those two ..

Knew I should of worn my chest waders today. :lol:
Never pet a burning dog!
Ghost Dog

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:41 pm

Ghost Dog wrote:longrangedog1000yd, welcome!

As for myself, the guy with the Halo over his, I only tell the truth about those two ..

Knew I should of worn my chest waders today. :lol:

+1, GhostDog!!
Welcome to our electronic campfire, longrangedog1000yd..... You are gonna love that 20".
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Jeepejeep » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:39 am

Welcome! Hoot gave ya a great starting point but sky's the limit with this caliber! Read the wealth of information in the reloading section. I think it's safe to say you can kill anything that walks on this Continent and just about anything else as well out to any reasonable distance with the Thumper. You're gonna be amazed at the accuracy of this round. Enjoy the madness that is Thumper!
Jim
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."Col. Jeff Cooper
Jeepejeep

Postby Jim in Houston » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:15 am

One thing about reloading for the 450B is that buying brass makes your reloads just about as expensive as new rounds, so my suggestion is to shop around on this forum to see if anyone has found a low priced supplier of the Hornady FTX cartridges. It's usually on the ammo availability thread and recently was Palmetto State Armory. New rounds for the 450B run from $24 to $32 per 20, and brass has been about $1.25 each, so do the math. Anyway, I think you will like shooting the Hornady FTX .452 250 gr and then the brass is free!!!! I am sticking to .452 caliber at present, though I may try some .451's soon. Going larger requires some additional steps to get the bullet down to the correct diameter.

With my limited reloading experience, I have just reloaded the 250 gr and 225 gr FTX bullets (yes, get the blems, whenever Midway offers them). The only drawback hunting with them seems to be the amount of meat they can spoil, when the expand, and some fragmentation that may leave small bits of lead embedded in your steak, or whatever. There is a lot of recent discussion here about loading Barnes bullets to avoid those problems.

Anyway, welcome to the group. Before I bought my BM upper (also the 20 inch barrel), I had never shot a large caliber rifle, reloaded my own ammo, or even considered building my own custom lower My name is Jim in Houston, and I am an addict.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:19 am

Welcome to the addiction.....
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby gunnut » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:36 pm

HI JIM ! Welcome to 450B anonymous. :D
gunnut

Postby longrangedog1000yd » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:47 pm

thanks guys! and you will get plenty of load reports, as i spend at least one full day at the range each weak its been rough the last few weak with the temps over 100 but when there is loads to be found its got to be done! what kind of brass life can i expect? went out hog scouting today found a few small pounds that wasnt dried up and the sign was there, got to get this 450 out and running sooner than later , i want to see the differance between it and my 6.8 on one(;
longrangedog1000yd

Next

Return to Reloading