Just Thinking

General Reloading Discussion.

Moderator: MudBug

Just Thinking

Postby wildcatter » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:27 pm

Prolly not as good as the Barnes 275gr with three crimp grooves or the Barnes 200gr, with two crimping grooves, but the Hornady 250gr, .458" MONO-FLEX, could be an alternative?? Of course you'd have to size down to .451-.452", but it does have two crimp grooves and has some possibilities.

Consider, it's basically a solid, with no jackets to shed. They are more expensive than our 250's, but they are something to think about.

Image Image Image

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Re: Just Thinking

Postby commander faschisto » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:11 pm

WC, great idea...why don't you work your personal magic with Hornady to do this design in a .4515 to start with? They could sell it as a rifle and pistol boolit...?
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby Hoot » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:59 pm

commander faschisto wrote:WC, great idea...why don't you work your personal magic with Hornady to do this design in a .4515 to start with? They could sell it as a rifle and pistol boolit...?

That's a sweet looking bullet. Being solid copper where you have to reduce it, I'm guessing it'll require smaller steps so as not to overwork the press mechanics. IE not as easy as a lead filled, thin walled copper cup. I know you have a wide range of sizing dies, so do report your result as to how many steps it takes to do the trick.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby wildcatter » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:27 pm

Hoot wrote:
commander faschisto wrote:WC, great idea...why don't you work your personal magic with Hornady to do this design in a .4515 to start with? They could sell it as a rifle and pistol boolit...?

That's a sweet looking bullet. Being solid copper where you have to reduce it, I'm guessing it'll require smaller steps so as not to overwork the press mechanics. IE not as easy as a lead filled, thin walled copper cup. I know you have a wide range of sizing dies, so do report your result as to how many steps it takes to do the trick.

Hoot

I actually think, using lanolin or sizing wax, one could do it in one step, two at most. I usually do Barnes solids in one pass (you'll need a Rock Chucker or better, sometimes with a cheater bar, over the charging handle, for a little extra help, to be able to do in one pass).

Sometimes I can effect the Biggies and sometimes not. For instance, I wanted Hornady to size "this bullet" to .452 and produce a 450b load for it, they thought it a great idea and looked at it some too. But, some fish get fried and some get eaten, so to speak.

So, "There I Was" planning tonight, with Gunny and the 450LM, to use this bullet. I can't wait to see the faces at Hornady, when I come Waltzing in with this bullet, sized to .452, in a weapon system that just "Smokes", their 458 WM Dangerous Game Loading, and this in an Auto-Chucker, to boot!!

..t

45 Cal .458 325 gr FTX® (45-70 & 450 Marlin)
SKU: 45015 | 50/BX
MSRP: $39.31
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Al in Mi » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:20 am

Back in the old days when I had oodles of free time, I made some heavy walled bushings up to use with a arbor press to size .458 and .452 bullets down and run sabotless in one of the smokeless ML's. This is the finish die, but the top of each bushing is honed out .0015 bigger and about halfway down in each one just for the ease of starting straight. I found they had to be heavy walled to help mininumize the springback of the lead cored bullets.

I have a few .458 Barnes someplace around here, if I get a chance this weekend, I'll see what it takes to size them down.

Al in Mi

Postby wildcatter » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:33 am

Al's method here, is actually the best method I've seen. I have always used a Rock-Chucker and one of these (Without the lee press. The press in the picture below,is doing light-duty work, on lead bullets, that are approximately the right size, before they start swagging. You'll need a strong press. I've never used their lube, might work well, but I prefer sizing wax and especially liquid lanolin). You can buy this lee kit off eBay, for $15+-. But I gotta tell ya, if you have the tools to build the swagger and an arbor press, do it the way Al here is doing it..

..t

Image Image Image
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Postby commander faschisto » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:45 am

WC...be sure to clip one of those "adventure cams" to your hat when you take this to Hornady...we all want to see the look on their faces! ;)
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby LlindeX » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:24 pm

WC,

When you take one of those loads & your perfomance data to Hornady; be sure to take a large package of Depends too! I'm absolutely positive that a few people in the room will need to change their shorts shortly after the meeting!!!! :lol:
Ask a Syrian why his gun rights are so important !
Then, ask yourself why any Politician really wants to take our's away !!!
LlindeX

Postby 1fullmag » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:45 pm

I have a couple Lyman lubrasizers I think they are called and a box of sizing dies that I have never used, I dont even know what size dies I have but would the dies work in a rcbs big max press? it sure seems like it would be tough enough and would give me a reason to use it.
1fullmag

Postby lungingturtle2 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:14 am

Just back from Oregon, while there I toured the Nosler bullet factory. I spoke to a company rep./tour guide/pr person about manufacturing a .451/.452 bullet suited to our needs and capable of standing up to 3000 fps velocities. He was basically uninterested in making any other .45 cal. bullets. While on tour I was expecting to see high speed manufacturing machines pushing a steady stream of bullets into a hopper, what I saw was WWII (dated) presses making 1 bullet each time the press rolled over, slow operation to say the least. Inspection was performed visually on each bullet as it rolled slowly into bulk containers. You may also be interested to know that their custom ammunition was being loaded on Dillon 1050 presses. They are now releasing their Varmageddon Nosler Signature AR by Noveske. Top floor, top drawer rifle with all premium grade parts, trigger and accessories, 5.56/.223 rem. chamber. 18" SS barrel bead blasted finish on barrel. I could go on about std. accessories but I'll just say prices start w/o scope at $2295.00. With Leupold scope (VX-3 LR 4.5-14x50mm w/CDS turret) Leupold mount and Harris bipod and 2 boxes Varmageddon .223 rem. 55 gr. fbsp ammo at $3195.00.
lungingturtle2

Return to Reloading