RELOADING ON A DILLON SQUARE DEAL

General Reloading Discussion.

Moderator: MudBug

RELOADING ON A DILLON SQUARE DEAL

Postby 3rdgeargrndrr » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:57 pm

ok, the square deal b only reloads straight wall cases. they use dillon propietary dies. NOT universal dies.
i also have a lee single stage as well.
so my question would be,
1)assuming i size the cases in the single stage first,
2) can i use my 45acp setup to expand, drop powder, seat bullets and crimp?
if nobody knows, i could always try it out and let you know
CA: Exorcising my rights
3rdgeargrndrr

Re: RELOADING ON A DILLON SQUARE DEAL

Postby Hoot » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:02 pm

Welcome aboard!

In your single stage press, I assume you will be using the Hornady 450 Bushmaster die set to resize?

Others with a Square Deal B will probably wade in on this, but with all due respect for the time involved, until you get a good feel for how your 450b reloads function when things are going right, I'd recommend using your Lee single stage and the Hornady 450b dies for a while. I used my Lee Classic Cast press for quite a while when I first started reloading for my 450b and it worked great. It doesn't take a lot of force to resize these cases if you lube them, so even a Lee Anniversary press will do a good job.

I'll stand by while Square Deal folks have at it.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby 3rdgeargrndrr » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:14 am

Thanks for the Welcome HOOT. Thanks for the pointers. I will be starting with the Single stage for the first batch and let everyone know what problems I have trying out the Progressive, thanks
3rdgeargrndrr

Postby wildcatter » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:57 am

Absolutely Welcome!!

By sizing in the single stage press first, I'm assuming you have a 450b set, right?

If that is the case then you might do as Hoot is suggesting, but the 45acp die will seat & crimp our case. If you have a 45acp powder through die, it might do that as well, but then again, I'll leave that call to others more learned. When you put these issues to bed, I hope you'll tell us all about it..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby 3rdgeargrndrr » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:21 pm

ok, just to update, the Dillon Square deal B is a NO Go. the case neck is too high and does not allow the press to seat or crimp to any appreciable degree without a lot of force. Comparing it early on to the single stage method, This progressive ends up adding increased complexity and extra elbow grease, not really what you need in a relaxed and undistracted environment. It does load most any straight wall pistol case just fine however. keep it safe
3rdgeargrndrr

Return to Reloading