New cast bullet for the 450B

General Reloading Discussion.

Moderator: MudBug

New cast bullet for the 450B

Postby West Desert » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:19 pm

New guy here so be gentle. :) . I have a16 inch upper in 450B on it's way. As an avid bullet caster I cast about (pun intended) for an approiate bullet mold. I contacted Tom at Accurate Molds here in S.L.C and he put together a neat bullet design for this cartridge. In his online catalog it is #45-280D.
I will report later on it's performance.
West Desert

Re: New cast bullet for the 450B

Postby commander faschisto » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:03 pm

Welcome to the asylum! Don't worry, nobody gets flamed around this campfire...let us know how the new slugs work out. There has not really been much done with cast boolits on the 450b AR platform, I don't think, due to compatibility, or lack thereof, with the gas system. You might try the search function for "cast bullets", or some such.
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:10 pm

commander faschisto wrote:Welcome to the asylum! Don't worry, nobody gets flamed around this campfire...let us know how the new slugs work out. There has not really been much done with cast boolits on the 450b AR platform, I don't think, due to compatibility, or lack thereof, with the gas system. You might try the search function for "cast bullets", or some such.

The only flaming going on around this campfire is commander faschisto slinging flaming marshmallows down the S'mores assembly line cuz he can't trust me to get them to the graham crackers.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby commander faschisto » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:17 am

Hey, it helps maintain your hand-eye coordination for softball season... ;)
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:37 am

commander faschisto wrote:Hey, it helps maintain your hand-eye coordination for softball season... ;)

Ever seen a couple of dog owners throwing a frisbee back and forth playing keep-a-way from their dogs? Insert the dawg between commander fastcheeseo and Hoot pitching a plate of Smores back and forth and there ya go....
Constant entertainment.... At my expense.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby BD1 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:34 am

Welcome WD! I'm looking forward to hearing your results. I've done some work with cast in the .450B using the Lee 300 grain WFN, the Ranch Dog 290 and a 290 grain mold I designed by Mountain Molds. I also worked with some heavier designs but have pretty much decided that 300 grains and under is my best bet. The .450 is a great cast shooter in many respects, but I have not been able to get the consistent accuracy with cast that I can get with jacketed. I've shot many groups with three shots touching, and two flyers that open the group up to 2 1/2" or so. I had myself convinced that the larger gas port on the .450 was disrupting the occasional gas check leading to flyers so I had a taller gas check maker made. Unfortunately, not the simple solution I was hoping for. My next line of thought involves harder alloy, and less lube. We'll see.... A couple of things to keep in mind; a good crimp is required, the heavier the boolit, the more crimp you need to keep it from jumping forward in the case on chambering, and beware of seating depth as the boolit base can bulge the case enough to cause it to wedge in the chamber tying up the rifle.
Have fun! and play safe.
BD
BD1

Location: Northern Maine, Working on the coast, but home is still Moosehead Lake.

Return to Reloading