Brass lodged in primer die and ripped the rim off

General Reloading Discussion.

Moderator: MudBug

Brass lodged in primer die and ripped the rim off

Postby cptrifeg2 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:39 pm

sooo, I guess I was moving to fast and lodged a peice of brass in the primer removal/replacement die and ripped the extraction rim off the case....I drilled it out the end but still have to pick up a carriage bolt that will fit into the case and is long enough to fit over a spacer and draw it out..Does anyone have any other suggestions for pulling the brass out?

"Soldier's dont rise to the occasion, but fall to their level of training".
cptrifeg2

Re: Brass lodged in primer die and ripped the rim off

Postby Colohunter » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:40 pm

I had this happen once with .223 when I tried to squeeze the last little bit of lube out of some Hornady One Shot (the last little bit wasn't enough lube!) I ended up getting one of these: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/504741 ... se-remover

I've only used it the one time fortunately, but it is nice to have on hand, just in case.
Colohunter

Postby Hoot » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:44 pm

cptrifeg2 wrote:sooo, I guess I was moving to fast and lodged a peice of brass in the primer removal/replacement die and ripped the extraction rim off the case....I drilled it out the end but still have to pick up a carriage bolt that will fit into the case and is long enough to fit over a spacer and draw it out..Does anyone have any other suggestions for pulling the brass out?

Screw the die into the press and lock it down with the nut.
Immobilize die body up near the stem collet using a 3/4" wrench on the flats, loosen the collet with a 1/2" wrench.
Unscrew it, retracting the decapping stem with it.
lower a 7/16 or 3/8" punch down into the stuck case until it bottoms out against the web.
Pound the case out with a hammer.
Inspect the inside of the die. There may be some brass burnished onto the walls.
Chuck one section of an aluminum shotgun cleaning rod into your drill and screw in a mop that fits tight inside the die body.
Load it up with JB compound and spin it up. Remove and apply more compound. Repeat until you don't see any more brass.
Take another clean mop and repeat using Flitz or some other fine polishing compound until it shines brightly.
Improvise where needed to the same end.

Hoot

EDIT: I type slowly and someone else posted before me.
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Colohunter » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:04 pm

As always Hoot, you have the best home-brew option! Mine was just the simple factory parts. He wouldn't have to wait for the new die with your idea.
Colohunter

Postby Wicked Hunter » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:01 am

I do just as Hoot mentioned. Since you already have the case tapped you just need to screw a bolt into it, and the use the punch to hammer on the bolt from the inside if the die. I had to do this alot when i first started using Hornadys One-Shot on my .223. I was about to give up on the stuff until i realized it was my fault. I was spraying the cases in my loading block and not getting any lube on the bottom 1/2" of the case that was in the block. I started using the the short rings on the Hornady loading block that only cover the rim of the case and all my problems have went away. The 450 Brass isn't nearly as picky about being lubed 100% i just shoot a little in the die if i notice it getting a little sticky.
Wicked Hunter

Postby 9x19MdM » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:06 am

Can you post a pic of the stuck brass? I'm getting set up to reload and being a complete and total NOOB, I'd like to see what you're talking about.
9x19MdM

Postby wildcatter » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:09 am

This is usually caused, by either not having enough lube on the case and/or gunk, of some kind or another inside of the die. Make sure you have Clean dies and Clean Brass. Lube the dies, I use a Q-Tip, and of course, lube the brass.

Now, I have never stuck a case, well, maybe once, well, maybe one, er-ah, 1 um, one-million times. But Hoot has given the answer. Here's a little ditty, showing what he's talking about, using a punch. I recommend a 3/8" punch.

You wont have to worry about pulling the decapping rod assembly, for the 450b..

..t

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dugxhbSDHzg
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Hoot » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:20 am

Wicked Hunter wrote:I do just as Hoot mentioned. Since you already have the case tapped you just need to screw a bolt into it, and the use the punch to hammer on the bolt from the inside if the die. I had to do this alot when i first started using Hornadys One-Shot on my .223. I was about to give up on the stuff until i realized it was my fault. I was spraying the cases in my loading block and not getting any lube on the bottom 1/2" of the case that was in the block. I started using the the short rings on the Hornady loading block that only cover the rim of the case and all my problems have went away. The 450 Brass isn't nearly as picky about being lubed 100% i just shoot a little in the die if i notice it getting a little sticky.

I had a similar problem reloading spent brass from my 300 Win Mag BAR, using one-shot. That stopped when I switched to Imperial Sizing Die Wax. I bought my 2 ounce tin, which is on sale at Midway right now, about 4 years ago. I can finally see the bottom of the tin in the center. That's how long it lasts. My advice to any new reloader is to use the Imperial until you get a good tactile feel for reloading. Especially across different calibers. The straight walled cases like the 450b are much more forgiving than some finicky bottle neck calibers.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby cptrifeg2 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:29 pm

Hoot wrote:
Wicked Hunter wrote:I do just as Hoot mentioned. Since you already have the case tapped you just need to screw a bolt into it, and the use the punch to hammer on the bolt from the inside if the die. I had to do this alot when i first started using Hornadys One-Shot on my .223. I was about to give up on the stuff until i realized it was my fault. I was spraying the cases in my loading block and not getting any lube on the bottom 1/2" of the case that was in the block. I started using the the short rings on the Hornady loading block that only cover the rim of the case and all my problems have went away. The 450 Brass isn't nearly as picky about being lubed 100% i just shoot a little in the die if i notice it getting a little sticky.

I had a similar problem reloading spent brass from my 300 Win Mag BAR, using one-shot. That stopped when I switched to Imperial Sizing Die Wax. I bought my 2 ounce tin, which is on sale at Midway right now, about 4 years ago. I can finally see the bottom of the tin in the center. That's how long it lasts. My advice to any new reloader is to use the Imperial until you get a good tactile feel for reloading. Especially across different calibers. The straight walled cases like the 450b are much more forgiving than some finicky bottle neck calibers.

Hoot

you absolutely right..I knew I had some brass build up but I thought I could finish the lot I was on before cleaning and rammed the damn case in there anyways...I wont be doing it again...Ill post pics monday or so..I have drill this weekend..

"Soldier's dont rise to the occasion, but fall to their level of training".
cptrifeg2

Postby gunnut » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:21 pm

Well, now your an experiences reloader! :D
gunnut

Next

Return to Reloading