lee fcd

General Reloading Discussion.

Moderator: MudBug

lee fcd

Postby tbirdman74 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:52 pm

This question does not apply to the lee fcd mod for 450 bushmaster, which works great. My question is, how do you guys match repeatabilty with the normal fcd? I understand touch the shell holder and a extra 1/2 turn and adjust accordingly for desired crimp, but the amount of crimp affects neck tension, in turn affecting velocity, accuracy, etc. Now, given long enough case neck I can measure fairly acurrately the crimp o.d., but with short necks, or into cannelure, it gets tough. So, anyone have any cool ways of repeating your crimps from one batch to the next? Or would it be better to mark the top of the die with index marks to be able to repeat the same amount of crimp? Maybe the six hour drive today gave my mind too much time to wander...

Edit. http://www.titanreloading.com/consistent-crimp

This product seems to have the answer in theory, but we all know Hoots theory on theory...
This would allow you to quantify(their word, not mine) the amount of force required on the lever of the press to recreate repeatable crimps. On the other hand, wouldn't other be too many variables, brass ductility(?), bullet smoosh(?), and press linkage leverage angles that could make it basically a 100 dollar press handle? I think I need to go to bed before this gets out of hand...
Go big... or go home.
tbirdman74

Re: lee fcd

Postby Hoot » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:07 am

That's why God created Sharpies. ;)
I use index marks on the die. The hardest part is remembering what they mean the next time you go to use it.
That why God created a reloading logbook. ;)

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Re: lee fcd

Postby pitted bore » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:25 am

tbirdman74-
I recall posting to this thread, but apparently my post was one that got lost in the recent board updating process.

In November 2012 I started a thread in the "Reloading for the 450B" forum about the torque tool being adapted to a reloading press: Consistent Crimps - Tool.

In that thread the reaction to the possible application of the tool to 450B reloading was less than enthusiastic.
--Bob
pitted bore

Return to Reloading