Memory Lane - Barnes Busters

General Reloading Discussion.

Moderator: MudBug

Memory Lane - Barnes Busters

Postby wildcatter » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:15 pm

A few Years ago, I designed the Barnes Busters. So, I thought a little trip down Memory Lane would be appropriate for the Newer Guys.

You will note my personal preferences:

1). Flat Point. (for better tissue disruption than a normal rifle, dangerous-game magnum bullet can deliver, even after expansion. Because it doesn't expand, it doesn't slow down nearly as quickly as the other calibers expanded bullets do, thus a FAR greater wound Channel, with it's accompanying tissue destruction, and far greater Penetration).

2). HEAVY Jacket (+- .060" depending on caliber).

3). HARD Lead Core (unlike the other bullets made for Dangerous game with 3% antimony, this is nearly Pure Antimony). Reasoning for #2 & #3, I didn't want any real expansion. The Caliber is already bigger than a 375cal get's after expansion, to say nothing of the .338 and .300 magnums. I wanted ABSOLUTE, Muscle-Tearing, Vesicle-Rupturing, Nerve-Short-Circuiting, Bone-Crushing, Reliable-Penetration, when the Chips are all the way down and you are in the worst possible conditions and $$/bullets is not what's important!

4). Heavy for caliber (325gr .451").

5). Two crimp grooves (To better utilize the LeGendre Side Crimp or Hoots TNT Crimp Technology).

They built this for my needs, at my behest, without any real conversations, other than I suggested the above at a SHOT Show, they took notes, and at the next years Show, BINGO, here's the Roll-Out. With Exactly everything I had wanted! It's nice to have a little clout, Gotta Love that!!

..t

Image BARNES BUSTER
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Re: Memory Lane - Barnes Busters

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:29 pm

That's a good looking bullet! I wished I could have one in a 275-300!
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby helidude350 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:40 pm

How would the do with steel plate?

( I hear gears turning in mineral oil as dawg calculates it) :P
helidude350

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:33 am

I asked the steel plate and it ran from the room screaming.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby 3rdgeargrndrr » Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:02 pm

Hey all, I just noticed that the Barnes Buster 325g are finally back in stock at Midway. These have been largely MIA for the last few years. As WC said, not cheap, especially for development, but if you absolutely need something to take down before it takes you down...

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/321286/barnes-buster-bullets-454-casull-451-diameter-325-grain-flat-nose-flat-base-box-of-50
CA: Exorcising my rights
3rdgeargrndrr

Postby Hoot » Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:13 pm

3rdgeargrndrr wrote:Hey all, I just noticed that the Barnes Buster 325g are finally back in stock at Midway. These have been largely MIA for the last few years. As WC said, not cheap, especially for development, but if you absolutely need something to take down before it takes you down...

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/321286/barnes-buster-bullets-454-casull-451-diameter-325-grain-flat-nose-flat-base-box-of-50

Now that would be an interesting experiment with slower powders and the Bartz mid-length gas system. No use for them up here though, so its hard to justify what little OT I can pull down just for an education. Besides, steel plate season doesn't come in until November. ;)

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Return to Reloading