progressive press?

General Reloading Discussion.

Moderator: MudBug

progressive press?

Postby Bearkilla » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:55 pm

I have loaded with a Rockchucker since they came out, still have it but but it's slow, steady but slow. I have a bunch of loading to catch up on. I have not set my press up since I moved out here in the sticks, been shooting reloaded stuff from before the move. Well I got way behind and now that I am retired I don't seem to have as much time, so I am looking for a progressive press. I am looking to load up a bunch of 45, 9mm, 40SW, 380 and a s*!t load of 223. I can load my hunting Rifle ammo on my Chucker. Don't know what to do about the 450B.

Bottom line is I have loaded with a progressive Hornaday shotgun press, works great but never for anything else. So between Dillon and RCBS progressive presses which model would you buy and why.

Thanks to any help offered.

Cliff
Bearkilla

Re: progressive press?

Postby lungingturtle2 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:25 am

I have loaded with a rock chucker for over 40 years, I won't never sell it as it forms cases well among other things. I also have a dillon RL 550B I love, I have it set up for 9mm and it has never let me down. Its fast and efficient. Have never had a RCBS progressive so I can't speak about them but RCBS is a great company and wouldn't make or sell a dog. Whatever way you go I think you'll be happy. Good luck. Mike.
lungingturtle2

Postby paulmark3010 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:07 pm

I have a RCBS Pro 2000. It is a great progressive press. I have loaded everything from .380 on up to .270. I have the manually indexed model. I read where the auto indexing model can sling powder out. I have the powder checker die which is great for making sure you have powder and have not double charged. RCBS makes a great product and they stand behind what they sell. I also have the RCBS motorized trimmer and the RCBS case prep center. These two tools are invaluable if you convert brass. I have converted .284 win to 450 BM and 223 to 300 Blackout. I would still be cranking on hand tools if I did not have these two power ones. :twisted:
paulmark3010

Postby jerdebson » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:16 pm

I guess my first question is why don't you include the Hornady Progressive press to your list having used their progressive shotgun press? (but then I use a MEC Sizemaster)

I have used a Rock Chucker for 35-40 years. I like it but wanted more speed when I started shooting USPSA matches 2-3 times a month in the 80's. I bought a Hornady Pro-7 and used it for a few years then they came out with the Pro-Jector and I traded off my Pro-7 to my dad, its still a good press. I have used the Pro-Jector every since. If I was still shooting competitively I would buy the new Lock-n-Load Progressive Hornady, I believe it is the best bang for the buck. I have used other presses but I have had good luck with the Hornady line. At that time I bought Dillon dies and powder measures due to Hornady not being as "progressive" then but that isn't the case now.

It really comes down to personal preference as to which "Color" to buy. I would buy Dillon if I didn't like the "Red" presses better. They all are faster than a single stage press. Sorry if I didn't answer what you asked, just my opinion. Good luck with your search I'm sure you will be happy with the quantity and quality of today's progressives. Sorry to ask questions and then not really answer your questions.
Jerry

NRA Benefactor Member, Whittington Center Life Member, USPSA Life Member, SASS Life Member, LJRC Life Member

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
jerdebson

jerdebson

Postby Bearkilla » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:58 pm

Your right, I was looking at Hornaday last night as a matter of fact, I will consider them also.

Great info guys, thank you for taking the time to help me out.

Keep it coming your opinions mean allot, give me the goods and the bads about the loaders, because I am in the dark with progressive rifle loader.

Cliff :D
Bearkilla

Postby Colohunter » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:15 pm

I have a Hornady Lock n load and really like it. While there are the occasional timing issues that have to be adjusted it is much faster than the Lee turret I upgraded from.

I broke a piece of the primer assembly by forcing it when I shouldn't have. I sent them an e-mail explaining the piece I broke and a piece that I lost and they sent replacements immediately, free of charge.

I even got 1000 free bullets from their rebate program when I bought it.
Colohunter

Postby MarkCO » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:54 am

Like the others, I have a full RCBS/RockChucker set up. My first 400 or so .450BM loads were done on that press. On the other side of the bench is a Dillon 650XL. It is not cheap, to get set up to load 6 calibers, you are going to be in the neighborhood of $1500 +/-. If that does not make you fall off your chair, then I would say that is your best bet. The Dillon 550 is also a good choice, not as much coin, and not as fast. After that, look at Hornady.

While I don't load .380 (even though I have one) I load all of the other calibers you mentioned plus 6 other calibers on the 650XL. The only thing I don't load on the 650XL are my .260 and .338-06. I load those in smaller numbers, 20 to 100 at a time and they are my hunting and sniper match loads. But I still load the precision .308 on the 650XL.

To load the .450 BM on the 650XL, all you need is a spare .45 ACP case adapter milled long for the .450BM case, the .45 ACP powder funnel adapter and the .450BM dies. I do have a Lee FCD die set up for the no-fuss stab crimp from Hoot :mrgreen: in the fifth station. I do say, the ammo produced there is every bit as accurate as the laborious RockChucker produced ammunition.

Here are some comparisons for loading fired brass ammo into ready to go, not including the time in the tumbler...it takes me about 1 hour to load 50 .308 with the RC system. In that same hour, I produce 450 rounds on the 650XL. For 9mm, I produce about 900 rounds per hour.

I have used Lee, Hornady and RCBS progressives, of those, the Hornady is probably the best, but the Dillon is better overall. Not perfect, but once you are in tune with whatever loader you get, you will be able to produce ammo at least 10 times faster than with the RC.
MarkCO

Return to Reloading