Which is easier to reload for? 6.8SPC or 6.5G

General Reloading Discussion.

Moderator: MudBug

Which is easier to reload for? 6.8SPC or 6.5G

Postby 45r » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:29 pm

Never shot an intermediate cal AR.Both are good but which one would you choose.
45r

Re: Which is easier to reload for? 6.8SPC or 6.5G

Postby Hoot » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:01 pm

45r wrote:Never shot an intermediate cal AR.Both are good but which one would you choose.

Never messed with the 6.8 SPC, but the Grendel is no big deal to load for. About the only important decision is accepting that you have to buy good quality brass. The less expensive stuff gets loose primer pockets after only a few reloadings. Though the good stuff costs more, it's longevity makes it cheaper in the long run.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby 45r » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:33 am

Have you had to modify your extractor and ejecter like some do to get reliable function.I think the Grendel is better for long range and wind deflection but the bolt issues make me wonder if the 6.8 would be better for longevity do to less bolt thrust.Have heard the G breaks bolt lugs sometimes.
45r

Postby Hoot » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:01 pm

45r wrote:Have you had to modify your extractor and ejecter like some do to get reliable function.I think the Grendel is better for long range and wind deflection but the bolt issues make me wonder if the 6.8 would be better for longevity do to less bolt thrust.Have heard the G breaks bolt lugs sometimes.

No, the matching bolt that came with my barrel has functioned flawlessly. Be careful of 1 in 1000 people who breaks a lug and spreads it like wildfire, while the 999 never post about how great theirs is doing. They have better things to do. The only issue I ever heard of was when some manufacturers came out with some .264xyz variants of the Grendel with a slightly different chamber so as to not license the Grendel name from Alexander Arms. At one time there were at least four different .264xyz names out there. All they had to agree with Alexander in order to use the Grendel name, was not to vary any dimension in the chamber differently from the original design. Guess some folks didn't like being told what to do. Anyway, as long as you get a 6.5 Grendel and this is very important, a matching bolt, you will not break lugs, suffer from excess bolt thrust, etc. You will however get addicted in short order. It is the most accurate out of the box, stock, AR15 platform caliber I've ever seen.

Perhaps the 6.8 is the same way. I can't speak to that. I'm sure someone here has one and can.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:33 pm

I love my Grendel! We are planning to do some loading for her this winter. Right now, I'm focusing on getting some 5.56 loaded up to build back my supply.
Speaking of which.... Hoot, did you get my email?
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby wildcatter » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:52 am

A note to you Grendel Guys:

So, what the Inside-Baseball scoop..

I hear the Gov is or has dropped all interest in the Grendel? Not because of it's performance, because it has tons of potential and is a great cartridge.

My Scuttle-Butt, is that, because the Russians have adopted it for their AK's the Mil. has lost interest?

What are the facts??

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:14 pm

Seeing that the parent cartridge is the 6mmPPC who's parent cartridge was the 7.62X39..... I think it makes perfect sense for a country like Russia to see the benefits of the Grendel. Although, I find it deeply disturbing that Alexander would knowingly cater to such a country.
But the Grendel cartridge:
Has superior speed to the 7.62X39.
Has approximately the same bullet weight potential yet in a smaller size with better coefficients.
Retains velocity much better down range.
Overall, tooling up to make the changes in their munition plants and weapons facilities would not
Be too traumatic.
And the darn round is just flat out accurate.
All of these are good reasons to get a Grendel. But also think back. Why did some folks buy the AKs and SKS rifles here in the states? Well? Wouldn't the same hold true if the enemy started carrying the 6.5 Grendel?
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby 45r » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:23 am

It seems another option that looks good is BHW is coming out with several wildcats on the 6.8 case.One is a 6.5x6.8 and shoots sub MOA with every load they've tested so far with 6.5G data and less pressure.
At 200 yards it shot around 1 inch with a nosler bullet.They're going to make an entire family of cats,22x6.8,6mmx6.8,257x6.8,and 30x6.8 along with the 6.5.The 6.5 and 257 look like they would make a good dual purpose round.Would only need one bushing for 6.8 redding die.One inch at 200 sounds good so I'm thinking about the 6.5x6.8 now.Might be able to get whats good from both in one cat.
45r

Postby MarkCO » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:37 am

As for the OPs question, I think the 6.5G is easier to load for. Also, realize that there are differences like others have said, related to the G. The 6.5 Sporter is a 6.5G with a slightly different bolt face depth.

As for the general 6.5 question, I do know of a small group of SF guys playing with a new 25-223. The 6-7mm chambering that appeals to me the most is the 6.5PCC. Just a barrel change and all base .223 parts. Brass is easy to make. IF I was in a military decision position, I would certainly be looking at the 6.5PCC IF I was considering a cartridge change.
MarkCO

Postby 45r » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:59 am

I decided to get an 18 inch 6.5 Grendel barrel and bolt.Got to decide which upper receiver and rail now.
The accuracy and ability to shoot better at long range and several here like the 6.5G helped with the decision.
Thanks for the replies.
45r

Next

Return to Reloading