Magnetospeed V2 chronometer

General Reloading Discussion.

Moderator: MudBug

Magnetospeed V2 chronometer

Postby lungingturtle2 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:59 am

Has any one on this forum used the Magnetospeed V2 chronometer. If so what is your experience? Are they worth the extra money. Thanks.
lungingturtle2

Re: Magnetospeed V2 chronometer

Postby Hoot » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:50 am

In terms of not shutting down the firing line at the range, long enough to set up your conventional chronograph and agin to take it down or at a range where you're not allowed to do that at all, it is a great solution. I don't have one because hanging a device on your barrel is going to change it's behavior and would necessitate two test passes when working up loads. One to get the average velocity, SD, etc and then a second one to do group testing with the magnetospeed removed. If you're just loading for "minute of deer" accuracy, it probably wont matter.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby wildcatter » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:51 pm

Hoot,

As per usual you bring up good points.

But this might be a cure to some of your points and with such a large sweet-spot, one could get two and do BC calculations, to boot.

http://www.steinertsensingsystems.com/t ... ronograph/

I've had so many light problems with a standard Chronographs, that these new Speed Readers are attractive. But then again they could also be a pig-in-a-poke..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Hoot » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:48 am

wildcatter wrote:Hoot,

As per usual you bring up good points.

But this might be a cure to some of your points and with such a large sweet-spot, one could get two and do BC calculations, to boot.

http://www.steinertsensingsystems.com/t ... ronograph/

I've had so many light problems with a standard Chronographs, that these new Speed Readers are attractive. But then again they could also be a pig-in-a-poke..

..t

Yeah, I've had way too many do-overs because something was wrong with the sun angle myself. I haven't read the details, but right out of the chute, the first thing in my mind was how many variables affect the speed of sound. I'm sure they address that concern if they're worth their salt. I'll make time to actually read up on it. Thanks for the link.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby kobraken » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:36 pm

Yeah somebody smarter than me figure this out and let me know since I'm thinking of getting a chronograph for my birthday. Ken
Here piggy,piggy,piggy, I got something for you.
kobraken

Postby lungingturtle2 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:32 am

Thank you everyone who made suggestions and comments on this subject, sorry I'm so late getting back to you, I've been laid up several days. I also have a Chrony and have had quite a bit of trouble getting shots to register due to lighting, I think I'll read more reviews before I take the plunge. Mike.
lungingturtle2

Postby ARconnect » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:08 am

I realize this is an old thread, but thought I would resurrect it rather than starting a new one.

Has anyone done any more research on the MagnetoSpeed, or have any first-hand experience with it? The V3 is out now ($380 at Midway, or $180 for their Sporter model).

I need a new chrono and was looking at the Chrony Gamma Master and the Pact Pro XP, but the reviews on Midway and Midsouth aren't too good. The biggest complaint is the Customer Service for both companies. IMO, if the customer service is bad, you're up a creek if you have a problem.

Reviews on the MagnetoSpeed are pretty good. Biggest complaint is that the unit changes the point of impact when attached (most reports are higher than normal POI). No one says it affects grouping, though. If it only changes impact location and doesn't affect groups, I could live with that (just check the zero after the testing is done), but that seems too good to be true. In other reviews, users have specifically reported no affect on their POI.

I wonder if the change in POI is due to the weight of the unit changing the barrel's resonance, or if the unit disrupts the blast cone at the muzzle, thereby altering the bullet's trajectory. If it is a barrel resonance change, I wonder if a guy could build a custom mount to attach it to a quad rail, rather than the barrel. Hmmm...

The advantages sure are attractive: compact, light weight, not dependent on lighting, no extended cold range time to set up/take down.
ARconnect
From the Land of the Bullet Button, 10 Rnd Max Cap Mags, and Lead-Free Fodder. But this place would be Paradise without the Politicians.
ARconnect

Postby Hoot » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:56 am

I can't address the Magnetospeed, but I solved my aforementioned light problem by cutting up a white kitchen trash can liner and taping one rectangular piece between the two white diffusers like a canopy. I then hang another rectangle vertically between the uprights on the sunny side of the unit. Haven't had one error related to light since then. It can be an issue on a gusty day with the side sheet wanting to be a sail and the tripod mounted chrony wanting to blow over. On days like that, I anchor the windward legs with a sandbag on each. The downside is the time needed to attach the sheets once the rest is assembled, but I do all that in advance, from behind the shooting line. I realize that doesn't do diddly for answering your question, just saw my previous post and wanted to elaborate. I keep a roll of 3/4 inch masking tape and the two folded sheets in the case with the chrony.

Hoot
Hoot

Postby ARconnect » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:06 am

Hoot, I appreciate you sharing your tips and tricks. While I am a strong proponent of most things traditional, I am very intrigued by the Magneto.

I understand you don't have any experience with it, and it doesn't appear that anyone else on the board does either. But, seeing that you are an analytical guy, and at least somewhat theoretical, I wonder if you would hazard a speculation as to why the use of the Magneto would change a bullet's POI - especially if it occurs primarily in the upward direction. I understand that attaching anything to a rifle's barrel can, and likely will, change its resonance. That's why we free float barrels. And we work up loads to find the sweet spot in the barrel's resonance. But it seems that simply changing a barrel's resonance (via the attachment) would effect group size, but not necessarily change POI - But I'm likely not understanding something.

And, I have to wonder if the better part of the reason the POI shifts upward might be due to the obstruction the Magneto presents to the blast cone (I don't know if that is an actual term, but hopefully you know what I mean). As a bullet is rapidly forced down a rifle's bore, it is obviously pushing air out ahead of it, which must create some sort of turbulence upon exiting the muzzle. The Magneto surely has some effect on the behavior of that air as compared to an instance when the Magneto is not present. Additionally, the hot gasses from the powder burning are going to have a certain behavior upon exiting the muzzle behind the bullet that could be effected by the Magneto - but would that turbulence effect the bullet trajectory?

I suppose a guy would need a super slow motion infrared camera to be able to see it; or a slo-mo camera with a powder adative that made smoke.

Any thoughts?
ARconnect
From the Land of the Bullet Button, 10 Rnd Max Cap Mags, and Lead-Free Fodder. But this place would be Paradise without the Politicians.
ARconnect

Postby Avenger10 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:54 am

I love our Magnetospeed v3. It gets used much more often than the Oehler 33. I honestly believe it saves reloading time. Especially when we just want to know if a particular powder gets us into the velocity range we are looking for. Also, too many bad things can happen when you are chasing the chrono in load developement. We will use it early in load development then at the end to verify final velocity and S.D.

I believe POI shift is more myth than fact with the v3. We have sent thousands of rounds down range over one and never gave POI shift a thought. Maybe with lighter barrels it can be an issue but I doubt it.

For the best source of information on Chronographs read Bryan Litz book "Modern Advances in Long Range Shooting". He gives a thorough review of all available Chronographs and scores the Magnetospeed v3 pretty high. His book is very informational and will certainly make you think before you buy.

-Bartt
BRENTON USA | LONG-LOAD
www.brentonusa.com
Avenger10

Next

Return to Reloading