Case cleaning

General Reloading Discussion.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Case cleaning

Postby MOUNTIN DU » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:06 am

:? ...from a different perspective :roll: I tumble to clean and not for "bling" :oops: It's my first step, so cleaning primer pockets isn't an issue. ;) I use the walnut media mostly and tumble until they're clean & smooth. :) this saves my dies from wear and aids in firearm function. that's just my 'too' sense 8-)
hunt when it's cold; fish when it's not.
South Louisiana IS the sportsman's paradise!
MOUNTIN DU

Postby Jim in Houston » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:52 pm

MOUNTIN DU wrote::? ...from a different perspective :roll: I tumble to clean and not for "bling" :oops: It's my first step, so cleaning primer pockets isn't an issue. ;) I use the walnut media mostly and tumble until they're clean & smooth. :) this saves my dies from wear and aids in firearm function. that's just my 'too' sense 8-)

Same here. Step #2 is to decap and size the shells, then #3 clean the primer hole with a wire brush tool, then #4 chamfer and bevel lightly. I think someone (Hoot?) recommended using an extended deprimer rod on the sizing die to remove the primer without resizing the shell, then clean so that you get into the primer hole with the tumbler media. Then size, etc. Could go with this, but I would still check the primer hole after tumbling to be sure no media got stuck in it.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby Mdt1992 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:32 pm

Got the model b last week and have been running it everyday since then and after 2.5 hrs the brass comes out spotless. No more cleaning primer pockets. Probally going to purchase a vibrating tumber to do a final clean to remove sizing lube. My only complaint with the stainless is 2 pins will get stuck in the flash holes mainly when I was cleaning .40s&w but it was only in like 5 shells out of each batch of 200
Mdt1992

Previous

Return to Reloading