Quickload

General Reloading Discussion.

Moderator: MudBug

Quickload

Postby texrider » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:56 pm

I probably should have asked this before I ordered, BUT... Is NECO the only place you can order Quickload from? Not a very good experience with them. I ordered 10/14 and didn't hear anything thru 10/17, so gave a call. Person I spoke with said they had just run out and were awaiting a new shipment from Germany and should be in 10/20. I commented I might receive it late this week, and was told should see it way before then. The only shipping choice I saw was FedEx ground, which is what is shows on my receipt for $13.02. Just got the email notification from USPS that a label was created. I would have been perfectly fine if the fella had told me, yes end of the week or first of next week. Then to not use the carrier their web site shows and to charge that much for USPS! Leaves me a little frustrated. I guess it is what it is, and I'm off my soapbox now. If there is another company it can be purchased from it should be known though so maybe someone else doesn't have the same experience.
texrider

Re: Quickload

Postby Hoot » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:27 pm

I don't remember how mine came 3 or 4 years ago, but yes, USPS Priority Mail would have been a better choice. They only option I know of outside NECO is to get someone in Europe to order it directly from the author and then ship it to you themselves. NECO is the only authorized distributor in the US. Sure would like to know what powders they added to the database since my last update a year and a half ago. No point in buying the latest update if the author only added one or two new powders. Sure would like to see Alliant 300 MP in there.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby texrider » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:35 pm

Hoot wrote:I don't remember how mine came 3 or 4 years ago, but yes, USPS Priority Mail would have been a better choice. They only option I know of outside NECO is to get someone in Europe to order it directly from the author and then ship it to you themselves. NECO is the only authorized distributor in the US. Sure would like to know what powders they added to the database since my last update a year and a half ago. No point in buying the latest update if the author only added one or two new powders. Sure would like to see Alliant 300 MP in there.

Hoot

Ill let you know if that is something it will show when I get it.
texrider

Postby texrider » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:24 pm

No 300MP on the list. And they did adjust the charge for the shipping to a lower amount using USPS, so that was nice.
texrider

Postby Hoot » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:24 pm

texrider wrote:No 300MP on the list. And they did adjust the charge for the shipping to a lower amount using USPS, so that was nice.

Thanks for checking. Truth be told, 300 MP performs a lot like W296, but a tiny bit slower. It is a good powder for the 300s, filling up the case all the way just as they approach maximum safe pressure loads. That's always a plus in my mind. I just never got around to finding the optimum charge weight and barrel time for my barrel with it. I know there are published loads for it with the 460 S&W, which is quite similar to our 450b in behavior.

Have fun with QL. The rule of thumb is the more mature the caliber and powder that you're trying to model, the more accurate QL is. I've found calibers based upon the 308 and 30-06 parent cases, along with powders like 4895, Varget, BLC-2, RL15 and 17, to name a few, model pretty much spot on. Even my 6.5 Grendel models within a tenth of a grain using it. In my factory 20" 450b barrel, QL predictions tended to be higher than I actually experienced using all the default values. If you change the Start Pressure parameter to zero, it hits pretty darn close however. Before running it, you can edit the caliber and powder databases to eliminate those not commonly available in the US. Remember, it's a multi-national program. IIRC, my revision had the wrong case length for the 450b. You can edit those databases using a simple ASCII editor like Wordpad or Notepad. Some of the reloading intensive forums have extensive threads on QL, ripe with tips and tricks for optimizing it's performance.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby texrider » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:11 pm

Thanks Hoot. Just taken a quick look so far and looks like once I get it all set up the way I want it should be pretty slick. I could be asking some questions though. :)
texrider

Return to Reloading