hornady seater die

General Reloading Discussion.

Moderator: MudBug

hornady seater die

Postby j browne » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:38 am

So I thought I was gonna use my 45acp seater die and taper crimp die to reload for the 450 bushy, so I ordered the hornady resizer die. Well come to find out the 45acp dies wont work... so I ordered the hornady 450 bushmaster taper crimp die, but I cant find the hornady seater die anywhere.... does anyone know what the part number is for it? or if there is another seater die I could use to reload for the 450? like maybe a 460 mag or a 454 carsuel seater die?

As usual tryin to save money cost me more in the long run lol.
j browne

Re: hornady seater die

Postby Hoot » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:24 am

Same seating die as 460 S&W according to Hornady

Google the search terms Hornady 044721 and you'll find them.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby j browne » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:28 am

Awesome! thank you sir!
j browne

Postby pitted bore » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:54 am

j browne wrote:So I thought I was gonna use my 45acp seater die and taper crimp die to reload for the 450 bushy, so I ordered the hornady resizer die. Well come to find out the 45acp dies wont work... so I ordered the hornady 450 bushmaster taper crimp die, but I cant find the hornady seater die anywhere.... does anyone know what the part number is for it? or if there is another seater die I could use to reload for the 450? like maybe a 460 mag or a 454 carsuel seater die? ...

j browne-
I'm guessing that the problem with using the 45acp dies is the thickness of the case wall at the mouth of the case. Yes?

As far as I know, the Hornady seating die for the 450 Bushmaster and the 460 S&W cartridges are identical. The Hornady part number is 044721.

If I'm incorrect about this, the true gurus will correct me, I hope.

When you set up the die, be careful to avoid contact between the case mouth and the roll-crimp shoulder built into the sliding alignment sleeve. The shoulder is in the seating die included with the 450 B die set. Unfortunately, Hornady doesn't describe specifically how to set up the die in the generic instruction sheet they package with the 450 B die set.

Midway and others sell the 460 S&W seating die as an individual item.
--Bob

(Edited to add: Ha! A true guru responded while I was still typing. Good luck!)
pitted bore

Return to Reloading