popped primers 7.62

General Reloading Discussion.

Moderator: MudBug

popped primers 7.62

Postby helidude350 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:28 pm

a little out of my expertise here.....
My father recently got one of those dpms gen2 hybrid rifles.
Good for me because I get all the goodies he orders that don't fit, but cant return. ;)

Some of his reloads have experienced popped primers, jammed the rifle pretty good in the dark for him.

He said that there wasn't a published load for his selected boolits.

His recipe :
Hornady # 30903 225 grain, amp jackets, 30cal/ 308 accurate deadly ( I will have to consult Hornady website to double check the name)

CCI #200 large rifle primers

IMR 8208 XBR powder loaded to 40 grains

7.62x51 cases marked NKE 14 ( staked as factory rounds, but not when he reloaded).

He has more experience loading than I do, but not what I would call an expert.
He has attempted contacting Hornady and IMR.
Got a "Dunno???" from one and unable to contact the other.

I thought I would run this around the camp fire here before he blows up the smores :o

Any thoughts?

Thank you
helidude350

Re: popped primers 7.62

Postby Hoot » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:07 am

helidude350 wrote:a little out of my expertise here.....
My father recently got one of those dpms gen2 hybrid rifles.
Good for me because I get all the goodies he orders that don't fit, but cant return. ;)

Some of his reloads have experienced popped primers, jammed the rifle pretty good in the dark for him.

He said that there wasn't a published load for his selected boolits.

His recipe :
Hornady # 30903 225 grain, amp jackets, 30cal/ 308 accurate deadly ( I will have to consult Hornady website to double check the name)

CCI #200 large rifle primers

IMR 8208 XBR powder loaded to 40 grains

7.62x51 cases marked NKE 14 ( staked as factory rounds, but not when he reloaded).

He has more experience loading than I do, but not what I would call an expert.
He has attempted contacting Hornady and IMR.
Got a "Dunno???" from one and unable to contact the other.

I thought I would run this around the camp fire here before he blows up the smores :o

Any thoughts?

Thank you

QuickLoad says that load is 25% beyond max pressure at SAAMI COL and 38gr would be a better choice. However, if he loads the COL longer, then the pressure overage is less. I reload with 8208 XBR. It's a great powder.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Re: popped primers 7.62

Postby 3rdgeargrndrr » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:04 pm

My advice is to throw away his reloading manual and to double reference his loads.
Me thinks he was accidentally referencing -06 loads of which this combo would be appropriate
40g of XBR 8028 is max for 208g Hornadys according to the Hodgon website. 220grains projectiles would be way overpressure
Also, you referenced 7.62x51 brass, that would also indicate to me that this might be military brass, and he needs to decrease his charges even more to compensate for this brass as well.
I wouldnt stand around him shooting these loads, you could lose an eye
CA: Exorcising my rights
3rdgeargrndrr

Return to Reloading