450 bushmaster reloading

General Reloading Discussion.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: 450 bushmaster reloading

Postby Dave selepack » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:10 pm

Maybe just a new die, doesn't seem to be as much resistance since a loaded 50 more. Also used lube very sparingly, and cleaned cases with a damp alcohol cotton rag, as always appreciate your thoughts. I seen a few different sealers for primers, any preference on any, seems like I always get caught in a rain or snow storm while hunting deer. Thanks for the info. GOD BLESS!!
Dave selepack

Postby Hoot » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:59 pm

I forget if I mentioned this, but when I'm applying the taper crimp, I run the ram up lightly, stopping short of all the way and retract the ram slightly. I then rotate the case 90 degrees and run it up again the rest of the way. Makes sure that if the case was not sitting perfectly that it gets a second chance to balance out the process. I have no metric that says this improves the result, just one of those warm fuzzy things. I do the same thing when seating the bullet. Run it in approximately half way, retract, rotate 90, finish seating the rest of the way. Same reason.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:37 am

Hoot wrote:I forget if I mentioned this, but when I'm applying the taper crimp, I run the ram up lightly, stopping short of all the way and retract the ram slightly. I then rotate the case 90 degrees and run it up again the rest of the way. Makes sure that if the case was not sitting perfectly that it gets a second chance to balance out the process. I have no metric that says this improves the result, just one of those warm fuzzy things. I do the same thing when seating the bullet. Run it in approximately half way, retract, rotate 90 finish seating the rest of the way. Same reason.

Hoot

+1 for the same fuzzy reasons to every caliber round that I load for.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby wildcatter » Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:54 am

Hoot wrote:I forget if I mentioned this, but when I'm applying the taper crimp, I run the ram up lightly, stopping short of all the way and retract the ram slightly. I then rotate the case 90 degrees and run it up again the rest of the way. Makes sure that if the case was not sitting perfectly that it gets a second chance to balance out the process. I have no metric that says this improves the result, just one of those warm fuzzy things. I do the same thing when seating the bullet. Run it in approximately half way, retract, rotate 90, finish seating the rest of the way. Same reason.

Hoot

I have always done that during primer seating. Which, I guess, assures that bottoming out, proper seating, occurs.

I use an off press priming tool.. http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/457599 ... iming-tool

But it doesn't matter which priming tool I use, I still double up the procedure and rotate the case. As you said, prolly not necessary, but old habits dies hard and I don't want to change up now. I think I'll start to use procedure for bullet seating and case crimping now. Hey! I like warm fuzzes too..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:12 am

Wow. I never thought about it, Tim but I do it while priming too! Is this just some instinctive thing or should I consult
Sigmund Freud's writings?
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby wildcatter » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:09 pm

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:Wow. I never thought about it, Tim but I do it while priming too! Is this just some instinctive thing or should I consult
Sigmund Freud's writings?

In your case DR Phil might do..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby R1845 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:29 pm

Is any verified loading data available for the 275 gr. Barnes 460 bullet? Powder and charges vary by site.
R1845

Postby Hoot » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:15 pm

R1845 wrote:Is any verified loading data available for the 275 gr. Barnes 460 bullet? Powder and charges vary by site.

These are my pet 275 XPB loads from my factory 1:24, 20", chromed bore barrel. They are accurate and group well across a 4 grain range of Lil Gun over Rem 7 1/2 primers.
Starting load 38gr which coincides with an accuracy node. There is a second accuracy node at 42gr, but it's MOA or less across the entire range off of a BR setup at 100 yds.
Seat the bullet to around 2.18 COL. At that depth one of the driving band grooves is almost entirely buried into the mouth. Taper crimp down into that groove to a resultant diameter of .475. accurately measured (micrometer not calipers) as close to the end of the mouth as possible without falling off.

I can not speak for how this recipe performs with the shorter carbine barrel. As always, start at the lower charge and work up.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby 3rdgeargrndrr » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:22 pm

wildcatter wrote:
Hoot wrote:I forget if I mentioned this, but when I'm applying the taper crimp, I run the ram up lightly, stopping short of all the way and retract the ram slightly. I then rotate the case 90 degrees and run it up again the rest of the way. Makes sure that if the case was not sitting perfectly that it gets a second chance to balance out the process. I have no metric that says this improves the result, just one of those warm fuzzy things. I do the same thing when seating the bullet. Run it in approximately half way, retract, rotate 90, finish seating the rest of the way. Same reason.

Hoot

I have always done that during primer seating. Which, I guess, assures that bottoming out, proper seating, occurs.

I use an off press priming tool.. http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/457599 ... iming-tool

But it doesn't matter which priming tool I use, I still double up the procedure and rotate the case. As you said, prolly not necessary, but old habits dies hard and I don't want to change up now. I think I'll start to use procedure for bullet seating and case crimping now. Hey! I like warm fuzzes too..

..t

I do this as well, its not a warm fuzzy, it reduces the chances that a bullet was seated improperly improving run out, or so I tell myself. I have never run across anyone do it during primer seating, but hey, I'm already turning on the resizing and on the bullet seating, why not the primer as well? Im going to smash my fingers again someday anyhow :|
CA: Exorcising my rights
3rdgeargrndrr

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:04 am

Dave selepack wrote:Has anyone had any experience with 250 grain Thompson center shock wave bullets, they mic .452?

Read this.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12990
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

PreviousNext

Return to Reloading