Has anyone tried Magtech 165 Gr. bullets

General Reloading Discussion.

Moderator: MudBug

Has anyone tried Magtech 165 Gr. bullets

Postby coyote wacker » Thu May 21, 2015 7:07 am

Has anyone tried Magtech Solid Copper Bullets 45 Caliber (451 Diameter) 165 Grain Hollow Point Lead bullets in there 450 Bushmaster. It seems like a wicked light recoiling defense bullet.
coyote wacker

Re: Has anyone tried Magtech 165 Gr. bullets

Postby Hoot » Fri May 22, 2015 5:29 am

I have some C.O.P. 165gr all copper hollow points that I tried loading a while back. The biggest challenge was holding them back long enough for the powder to get cooking as they race down the bore rather quickly. Even with the hollow point, they are not very long, so there's not much to bite into when you crimp. As for powder, I had my best luck with Alliant 2400. Definitely benefits from a Carbine length gas system like the factory Bushmasters come with. If you experiment with them, be very careful as some of us had results where the unburned (slower) powders spit out behind the bullet without getting fully ignited, leaving a yellowish ball of unburned powder and a bullet somewhere still in the bore.

Hoot

EDIT: Looking at images of the Magtech bullets, they are clearly not like the C.O.P. ones I loaded. They may work better or not.
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby coyote wacker » Fri May 22, 2015 4:32 pm

Thanks Hoot.....Where would a good starting point be with 2400 ?

The main reason I asked about the Magtechs 165 gr. other than COP I don't think theres any other copper bullets available.

I asked Cutting Edge Bullets if there muzzle loader bullets could be used, in 450 Bushmaster. Now they are available in 160 gr. and a 250 gr. copper bullet with a tip, low velocity expansion is 1300 FPS.
coyote wacker

Postby pitted bore » Fri May 22, 2015 5:39 pm

coyote wacker-
Four years ago I did some reloading with 160-grain bullets from Barnes and General/C.O.P. I was trying to obtain high velocities with these bullets in a bolt action rifle. I reported results of my trials with 2400 powder in this thread:
The Need for Speed, Part A - Preliminary Trials

There are some further results with 2400 in the follow-up thread: More on 160-gr bullets: Need for Speed Part B

Enforcer powder may produce higher velocities than 2400.

Note that my results were all from bolt actions, and were undoubtedly at higher pressures than the SAAMI specs for the 450N.

I may have to obtain some of the 165-grain Magtechs to find how they perform compared with the 160s.
--Bob
pitted bore

Return to Reloading