H110

General Reloading Discussion.

Moderator: MudBug

H110

Postby ypsidog » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:10 am

I'm sure someone has posted this info already but I'll ask again. I got a 20" bolt gun in 450BM.....love it but want to reload for it. I have 3 lbs oh H110 and just ordered some 250gr ftx. What are yall thoughts? I've read 36 grains is a good load under the 250s. Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks
Between the beats is the sound of thunder........
Sqd ldr-invasion of 03'
ypsidog

Re: H110

Postby Hoot » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:16 pm

ypsidog wrote:I'm sure someone has posted this info already but I'll ask again. I got a 20" bolt gun in 450BM.....love it but want to reload for it. I have 3 lbs oh H110 and just ordered some 250gr ftx. What are yall thoughts? I've read 36 grains is a good load under the 250s. Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks

Welcome Aboard!
If you reload, then you probably have a chronometer. According to QuickLoad, which is pretty good at predicting this caliber when using the 250 FTX and H110, 36gr though little low, is a good starting point that you can work up from, if you choose to. You may find better performance when you get into the 38gr or slightly above zone. Somewhere between 36 and 40gr, the latter being the most efficient in amount of powder that actually burns, you will discover a sweet spot. Note the velocity and try to hit it in the future. This caliber is very forgiving in velocity variation and the POI not rising or falling, so don't get too hung up on SD.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby ypsidog » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:12 am

Just started reloading last year. My wife and kids mitigate the majority of my funds. I save what I can and a chrono is next.
Yes, I haven't gotten my 450 yet, it's ordered and being made. A 20" bolt gun.....I can't wait
Between the beats is the sound of thunder........
Sqd ldr-invasion of 03'
ypsidog

Postby Hoot » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:06 am

ypsidog wrote:Just started reloading last year. My wife and kids mitigate the majority of my funds. I save what I can and a chrono is next.
Yes, I haven't gotten my 450 yet, it's ordered and being made. A 20" bolt gun.....I can't wait

Though its not as punishing as most of the Magnums, do consider a recoil pad if the stock dos not already have one. Sims Limbsaver pads come pre-made to fit many rifle stocks or there is a slip-on one that is not too much like your grand=dad's, old dry rotted slip on. In a bolt gun, that really helps with enjoying the caliber, especially if you enjoy long range sessions, testing different load recipes. It's one thing to shoot during hunting season with heavy clothes on, but in the summer, I'm most likely found at the range with just a tee shirt on. If you don't already have the H110, keep an eye out for Lil Gun. Hands down, its the most versatile in this caliber. Also, if your main interest is deer hunting, the 200gr FTX is a flatter shooting, faster projectile, which is still devastating on deer. Lastly, this is more of a general reloading "other than 450b" sub-forum. There is a Reloading for the 450b sub-forum packed with information and read by more members.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Al in Mi » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:20 am

ypsidog wrote:Just started reloading last year. My wife and kids mitigate the majority of my funds. I save what I can and a chrono is next.

details on your bolt gun???
Al in Mi

Postby Ghost Dog » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:50 am

likely found at the range with just a tee shirt on

You should really consider some pants too.
:lol:

Good luck on the new rifle and Hoot has lots of experience with the 450!
Never pet a burning dog!
Ghost Dog

Postby Hoot » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:02 pm

Ghost Dog wrote:
likely found at the range with just a tee shirt on

You should really consider some pants too.
:lol:

Good luck on the new rifle and Hoot has lots of experience with the 450!

Nah, keeps the flies off of my water melon. ;)

Hoot
Hoot

Return to Reloading