conflicting load data

General Reloading Discussion.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: conflicting load data

Postby m113103 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:32 pm

Hoot do you check case volume between all of them ( different head stamps ) ? Just wondering if case weight corresponds to case volume. :P :P :D :D
m113103

Postby Slugger » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:34 am

Hoot wrote:
m113103 wrote:When using range pick-ups sort by headstamps and weight. When using different headstamps or other componets drop 10% and work up. It is a pain but the only safe way to do it ( keep good notes ). That way you only go thru this one time with each lot of brass. :P :P :D :D

Being the rifle range coordinator at my local club, I get lots of LEO practice brass pickups. Believe it or not, the heaviest deprimed brass award goes to PMC. Yes PMC, not LC or IMI. Go figure...

Hoot

Most of my brass is PMC. And I am using Winchester Small Rifle primers. Sounds like that combination may cause a little more pressure than others.
Slugger

Postby Hoot » Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:59 pm

]
m113103 wrote:Hoot do you check case volume between all of them ( different head stamps ) ? Just wondering if case weight corresponds to case volume. :P :P :D :D

From my experience, case weight is inversely proportional to volume.

Dug up my .223 reloading notebook and this was what I had:
All case weights include a spent primer:

223 brass cap.jpg
223 brass cap.jpg (22.6 KiB) Viewed 6122 times

For precision (bolt action) .223 shooting, I load with new Winchester .223 brass I stocked up on over 15 years ago. For blammo ammo, I load down a little when I do load, so my friends can shoot an AR. I'm not a .223 black rifle aficionado normally. Too many other interesting calibers for that platform. As a matter of fact, my .223 AR barrel is not even mounted to an upper. Just sitting in the back of the cabinet. If I make it to retirement and have my health, my plan is to shoot a whole lot more and for sure more of my different calibers that I don't get to too often.

Got off track. :roll: When I load some .223 for blammo ammo, I do segregate my .223 brass by brand and condition, but that's about it. I use Lake City brass that I squirreled away over the years to resize into 7.62x40WT. A fun caliber if I may say so. What the 300 BO could have been if it had not been designed by a suppressor company (AAC).

WRT to the highly regarded Lake City brass. I have headstamps going back to the 90's. IMHO, the LC brass that finds its way into the civilian market, namely Milspec QA rejects, has steadily gone down in quality over the years. IE the older it is, the better it is. IIRC, LC 5.56 was replaced by FC 5.56 now.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Previous

Return to Reloading