185 g bullets

General Reloading Discussion.

Moderator: MudBug

185 g bullets

Postby woodjust4u » Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:46 pm

So being new to reloading and owning a 450 I have a question on 185g bullets I got from Hornady for purchasing a LNL press. I can't seem to find a good starting range for powder H110 is what I mostly use because we don't see Littlegun around here available too often. have 500 bullets I just want to blow up some jugs and fruits! any ideas? Thanks Tom..Va
woodjust4u

Re: 185 g bullets

Postby Hoot » Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:01 am

woodjust4u wrote:So being new to reloading and owning a 450 I have a question on 185g bullets I got from Hornady for purchasing a LNL press. I can't seem to find a good starting range for powder H110 is what I mostly use because we don't see Littlegun around here available too often. have 500 bullets I just want to blow up some jugs and fruits! any ideas? Thanks Tom..Va

Welcome Aboard Tom;

If you have already opened that box of bullets, can you measure the length of one of them? From the picture of the 185gr XTP on the Midway site, if they are as short as the look, I can not think of a worse bullet to learn reloading for this caliber using. Not to be a wet blanket, but in all sincerity, there are many better choices for a lasting, first impression. The ones in the picture look as long as they are wide and if that in itself isn't a dissuasion, they're smooth sided. :( I have been reloading extensively and to a large extent successfully, for this caliber since 2010 and I would not take those on, even with the right powder, which H110 is not. I just want your experience to leave you with the confidence that this caliber is capable of instilling in the owner. I have read reports from other members who bought Hornady products that provided them with some free bullets as a reward and they have called Hornady and gotten them to adjust that reward in the direction of a more suitable bullet for the 450b. Something to consider if you haven't already used some.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Jim in Houston » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:05 pm

woodjust4u wrote: . . . question on 185g bullets I got from Hornady for purchasing a LNL press. . . .Va

A little late on advice, but had you asked, Hornady would have substituted 250 gr FTX on the Lock 'n Load offer, probably reducing the number you got due to the extra cost of the 450 BM bullets. They did this for me, when I bought my reloading equipment. I'm with Hoot. If you're just starting to reload for this round, go with a more conventional bullet that is covered in the Hornady reloading manual.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby woodjust4u » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:41 pm

I have already loaded up some 230, and 250 FTX and i am waiting for my 45/70 FCD as per Hoots directions! I just wanted to use them up or sell them. I didn't really know about the weight difference so much and with such a light bullet! thanks for the replies!!
woodjust4u

Postby woodjust4u » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:16 pm

I have already loaded up some 230, and 250 FTX and i am waiting for my 45/70 FCD as per Hoots directions! I just wanted to use them up or sell them. I didn't really know about the weight difference so much and with such a light bullet! thanks for the replies!!
woodjust4u

Postby plant_one » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:54 pm

the good news, you shouldnt have too much trouble turning them into cash once you have them in your hands if you have no use for them.

they are nice bullets, and i'm sure some 1911 fan somewhere would be thrilled to get their hands on them :)
plant_one

Postby pitted bore » Thu May 19, 2016 9:11 pm

woodjust4u wrote:So being new to reloading and owning a 450 I have a question on 185g bullets I got from Hornady for purchasing a LNL press. I can't seem to find a good starting range for powder H110 is what I mostly use because we don't see Littlegun around here available too often. have 500 bullets I just want to blow up some jugs and fruits! any ideas? Thanks Tom..Va

Tom-
I'll second the welcome you've received.

You're not alone in trying to begin reloading for the 450B using "free" 185-gr Hornday bullets.

Here are links to some previous threads started by individuals in situations like yours:

These threads may be of some use to you. Myself and other forum members will be pleased to reply to questions you may have.
Good luck.
--Bob
-edited to repair spelling error
pitted bore

Return to Reloading