I think I may have found a good load

General Reloading Discussion.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: I think I may have found a good load

Postby winman1550 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:01 pm

Thank you for explaining it. Like I said, I do not reload but know about certain gun barrels that like certain bullet weights etc... It took many dollars to find the right slug for my trusty 11-87 Rem slug gun. When I found it I bought as much as I could to stock up. Hoping that there was not much difference in the results in not being able to buy shells not in the same lot. That being said I do find it interesting, the things some of you guys do with reloading. I just know for me, the accuracy I'm getting with the factory 450 ammo and my barrel combination would be hard to improve upon for my needs. With a 1 1/2" spread at 200yrds out of an AR platform, if I do my part and not try to get cute, there's not much of a chance I'll be walking away empty handed from a day of deer hunting. I will say it again that I do enjoy reading about your reloading experiences if ever I do decide it's necessary for me to start reloading there is a lot of good info to go by and use.

Thanks as always,

Greg
winman1550

Postby PJames » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:11 pm

Al in Mi wrote:
winman1550 wrote:First let me say I'm not a reloader. I do read with a learning interest most of the posts about guys trying this bullet and that bullet, this powder and that powder and how much of each. As an observer, some I understand and some not so much. My question is, if with my 18" Tromix barrel I'm getting groups like the second picture in the above post at 200 yards with factory ammo as I'm sure others are, why all the experimentation? I know I'm pretty happy with my results and know I'm not going to get 5 shots all in the same hole at that distance no matter what I do. Using the chronographs and checking to see if I'm gaining or losing 100 fps between bullets, powders, primers etc... Don't seem like much difference? Is it for the fun? Cost savings? Or just something to do. Just curios.

Greg

for me, I'm just not a fan of any FTX bullets for hunting period.

Really huh ,I have no doubt a 225gr FTX would put a hurt on any size Washington state animal I would hunt.
"One Good Shot--Is All I Need."
PJames

Postby PJames » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:16 pm

I was trained if you can't place a bullet in your attended target to dispatch it with one shot....Don't take the shot. In 31 years I have yet to shoot anything more that once. Luck maybe ..discipline most definitely. Rule number one know your target and how to shut down the nerve system of your intended target. Rule two know your gun and it's limits. Rule three know your limits. Rule four trust yourself.
PJames

Postby Cryptoman » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:54 pm

Hey PJames, have you seen any signs of excessive pressure yet with your W296 loads? I'm going to be working up some loads with H110 soon, which I understand is pretty much the same powder.
Cryptoman

Postby PJames » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:18 pm

Cryptoman wrote:Hey PJames, have you seen any signs of excessive pressure yet with your W296 loads? I'm going to be working up some loads with H110 soon, which I understand is pretty much the same powder.

No pressure signs at all with 43grs of W296 and the 225gr FTX brass and primer pockets look good. I have yet to trim the brass still well within spec. I am going to up my charge and see if accuracy stays or not. If so I should get 2,300 fps easy. 43grs gets me 2,277 fps.
PJames

Postby Hoot » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:59 pm

PJames wrote:
No pressure signs at all...snip... .

What about Sooting?!

;)

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby PJames » Thu May 04, 2017 7:53 pm

225gr FTX over 42grs of W296 5 shots @ 150 yards.
PJames

Postby plant_one » Thu May 04, 2017 9:36 pm

that looks like it'll get the job done!
plant_one

Previous

Return to Reloading