Reloading 450 bushmanster

General Reloading Discussion.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Reloading 450 bushmanster

Postby Pnyhntr10pt » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:18 pm

I hope this is the right page to get started. I'm a bowhunter and know next too nothing about reloading or even rifles. My gun experience is limited to pig hunting with stock .30-06 ammo. Various sabot rounds out of my 12 gauge rifled barrel shotgun for deer and several load combinations out of my 50 cal muzzleloader. I do however read tons of reviews and articles which brings me here. I've got to be honest I don't prep my guns. I shoot out of a clean gun. Practice and check 0 again both out of clean guns then I take a clean gun to the field. I try to set myself up for success with quality gear but I'm also not a pro shooter. With my 12 gauge I can stack three shot groups at 100 yards no problem. Same for my muzzleloader at 150. I now own a shop built .450 and am very impressed with my shooting at 200 yards with this caliber. After taking 2 deer with factory Hornady Black rounds I'm worried and looking to learn how to build my own 450 rounds. Somewhere I seen people were loading something extremely close to the Hornady factory ammo but using Barnes TMZ bullets but I can't find that page again. That sounds like a great bullet from experience with my muzzleloader. Are there any hunters running that set up?
Pnyhntr10pt

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:07 am

Welcome to our electronic campfire. I’m sure someone will chime in soon. I’ll take a look around and see if I can find ya a link.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:11 am

Pnyhntr10pt wrote:I hope this is the right page to get started. I'm a bowhunter and know next too nothing about reloading or even rifles. My gun experience is limited to pig hunting with stock .30-06 ammo. Various sabot rounds out of my 12 gauge rifled barrel shotgun for deer and several load combinations out of my 50 cal muzzleloader. I do however read tons of reviews and articles which brings me here. I've got to be honest I don't prep my guns. I shoot out of a clean gun. Practice and check 0 again both out of clean guns then I take a clean gun to the field. I try to set myself up for success with quality gear but I'm also not a pro shooter. With my 12 gauge I can stack three shot groups at 100 yards no problem. Same for my muzzleloader at 150. I now own a shop built .450 and am very impressed with my shooting at 200 yards with this caliber. After taking 2 deer with factory Hornady Black rounds I'm worried and looking to learn how to build my own 450 rounds. Somewhere I seen people were loading something extremely close to the Hornady factory ammo but using Barnes TMZ bullets but I can't find that page again. That sounds like a great bullet from experience with my muzzleloader. Are there any hunters running that set up?

Here’s one. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12740&p=34407&hilit=Barnes+TMZ#p34407
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Pnyhntr10pt » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:57 pm

Thank you it's very reassuring some have tried this. Almost all my gun xperience has been with lead core bullets. 300gr SST shotgun slugs and 250gr SST muzzleloader bullets, 250gr hornady bushmaster rounds. Although all these bullets have killed deer with no problem on great shots I hate they practicly deteriorated. I've been blown away how the all copper Barnes T-EZ perfectly opened out of my muzzleloader with only 100gr of powder. I would have to double check but at 100 yards i believe the energy from my muzzleloader is similar to the .450 at 150-200 yards. In my non professional mind I'm thinking this could be a great set up. I'm imagining the Barnes bullet somewhere between 2100-2500 for. Is anyone out there better at understanding the math and can tell me if it's possible? Please remember I'm a deer hunter so 200-275 .lb live weight deer with shoulder blades and other bones one might hit. Thatsbusually when these lead core bullets have let me down.
Pnyhntr10pt

Postby Pnyhntr10pt » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:15 pm

I'm really excited. As a hunter not a shooter I would love to just buy quality ammo instead of having to learn to load the .450. I just got a reply from Barnes saying they will have .450 bullet available early summer as well as partnering with Remington again for another offering. Was not informed whether it will be tsx or t-ez. I'm hoping for a ballistic point 250gr bullet.
Pnyhntr10pt

Previous

Return to Reloading