QuickLoad

General Reloading Discussion.

Moderator: MudBug

QuickLoad

Postby Thom28 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:55 pm

I have been doing a lot of reading of threads related to reloading for the 450. I have read in numerous discussions about QuickLoad.
Can someone give a short tutorial on it? I did Google it and see that it costs about $155. Is that what you guys are using?

Thanks for any information you can provide.

Thom
U.S. Army Veteran
NRA Life Member

"From My Cold Dead Hands."-Charlton Heston 2000
Thom28

Re: QuickLoad

Postby Hoot » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:49 pm

Thom28 wrote:I have been doing a lot of reading of threads related to reloading for the 450. I have read in numerous discussions about QuickLoad.
Can someone give a short tutorial on it? I did Google it and see that it costs about $155. Is that what you guys are using?

Thanks for any information you can provide.

Thom

I use it Thom, though when I got it, it was about $50 less. There is a heavy learning curve, then it flattens out. I'd venture it took me several months to get comfortable with it, playing around a couple of evenings a week. Somewhere there used to be a forum of QL users chocked full of tips and tricks. It was a sub forum in some other forum, not a forum dedicated just to QL. Interestingly, Gunther or whoever the author is in Germany actually replied to my emails way back when. Not newbie questions, more esoteric ones, once I got good with it. I sure wish he'd put more time into adding more bullets and powders to the database than he does. That's the only downside. He trickles out only a few new ones a year, if that.

EDIT: It does not replace range time, nor predict accuracy. It also does not support specifying different primers despite the difference having a large bearing on pressure.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Thom28 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:32 pm

Thanks Hoot for the enlightening info. It was quite a surprise when I googled it and saw the price.
I have been reloading since the mid 70s. Didn't even have computers back then. Just reloading manuals and spending time on the range.
It has served me well all these years and I see no need to change now.

Thom
U.S. Army Veteran
NRA Life Member

"From My Cold Dead Hands."-Charlton Heston 2000
Thom28

Postby Hoot » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:18 pm

Thom28 wrote:Thanks Hoot for the enlightening info. It was quite a surprise when I googled it and saw the price.
I have been reloading since the mid 70s. Didn't even have computers back then. Just reloading manuals and spending time on the range.
It has served me well all these years and I see no need to change now.

Thom

I didn't mean to discourage you. If I could get comfortable with it, so could most folks with some reloading under their belt. It is fun to play What if... Some loads are close to spot on as predicted once you get them out at the range. Some are off however. W296 predicts much higher in the 450b than it delivers using a taper crimp. The good news is, you can edit the database that drives the engine to reflect what you're actually getting in practice. After that, it will predict much more accurately for that caliber/powder combination. The more mainstream the caliber, the better your chances of getting good load data right from the software. I have never seen QL under-predict real results. It tends to err on the side of caution.

Software prices aren't going down, regardless of what the application is. As modeling software goes, QL is pretty cheap. I'll post a screen shot of the main engine view, to give you an idea of all the variables it takes into consideration, including ambient temperature.
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Return to Reloading