small rifle primers

General Reloading Discussion.

Moderator: MudBug

small rifle primers

Postby gunauthor » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:06 pm

I am new to reloading 450 Bushmaster (in a CVA Hunter) and have a question. Why does the 450 use a small rifle primer? Most cartridges of this size use a large primer I remember an article in Handloader magazine about comparing the two in a variety of calibers. In almost every instance the large primer worked better particularly in cold weather. Any thoughts on this?
gunauthor

Re: small rifle primers

Postby Hoot » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:17 pm

Welcome Aboard OM!

gunauthor wrote:I am new to reloading 450 Bushmaster (in a CVA Hunter) and have a question. Why does the 450 use a small rifle primer? Most cartridges of this size use a large primer I remember an article in Handloader magazine about comparing the two in a variety of calibers. In almost every instance the large primer worked better particularly in cold weather. Any thoughts on this?

Yes, the 450b uses small rifle primers. I'm fond of Rem 7 1/2 primers myself. WSR are a close second. Other members use different primers and report satisfactory results.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby plant_one » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:52 pm

ive had good results with 400's, 450's and 7½'s, but i'm just playing with lil gun right now. it doesnt seem to care.

you may have different results with different powders though.
plant_one

Postby MOOSE EARS » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:56 am

You need to use the hotter primers w/LilGun. I had ignition trouble with a batch that had some hangfires due to weak primers.
MOOSE EARS

Postby Al in Mi » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:45 am

I never understood why they went with small primers either. I use the cci 450 cuz remmy 7 1/2 are scarce as hens teeth around here. Never had a glitch with them in any load.
Al in Mi

Postby Colohunter » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:42 pm

The small rifle primers are sometimes considered to allow a stronger case head and potentially lower SDs. Some of the long range precision cartridges go against the flow and use small rifle primers, like the 6.5x47 Lapua. Lapua even offers 308 with a small rifle primer. I don't have the experience to say if there really is a difference or not, but I know in those circles there can be complaints about using the large primers.
Colohunter

Return to Reloading