225gr hornady ftx bullet seating problems

General Reloading Discussion.

Moderator: MudBug

225gr hornady ftx bullet seating problems

Postby gmstack » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:55 am

HAS ANYBODY HAD BULLET SEATING PROBLEMS WITH SEATING HORNADY FTX BULLETS. I DISCOVERED I NEED A DIFFERENT SEATING PLUG TO SEAT THEM PROPERLY.
gmstack

Re: 225gr hornady ftx bullet seating problems

Postby Hoot » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:08 am

gmstack wrote:HAS ANYBODY HAD BULLET SEATING PROBLEMS WITH SEATING HORNADY FTX BULLETS. I DISCOVERED I NEED A DIFFERENT SEATING PLUG TO SEAT THEM PROPERLY.

I've always just used the tapered stem that came with the Hornady die set and never had a problem. Then again, I never inspected the finished product under the microscope.

Can you elaborate?

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby MOOSE EARS » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:38 pm

Are you flaring the cases enough to get the bullets started? The flat base will give trouble w/o enough flare.
MOOSE EARS

Postby gmstack » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:14 pm

Bullets aren't seating evenly.
gmstack

Postby gmstack » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:15 pm

I will try increasing the flare.
gmstack

Postby Hoot » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:54 pm

Do you have to screw the die body way down to get the seating stem to engage the bullet. IE Significantly further than you have had to with other bullets? I ask because I recently commented about a situation where if you turn the die upside down, the seating stem can get caught and doesn't drop down all the way into place. Assuming you could get the cartridge up into the body far enough. Under that circumstance, the seating stem would impart a crooked bullet seat. That's really reaching. Also, make sure you have the tapered seating stem in there, not the flat faced one that also comes with the Hornady set. The Hornady seating die does a really good job aligning the bullet before starting to press it in. With it, I've never had to use the expander with any bullet I've used. Even with a crooked start, most bullets will square up the further down into the case they go. FWIW, you never want to use a shallow seated bullet in this caliber, even if you're trying to load it to a longer COL afforded by the bolt actions. I never use less than 1/2 caliber seating dept and preferably closer to 1 caliber. Just throwing some things out there to see what sticks.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Bmt85 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:05 pm

I haven't had an issue with the 225's, unless I forget to chamfer the case mouth, then it will leave a ring from the seating stem. I usually use a VLD chamfer tool. I also never expand the case mouth. Haven't needed to and I think it would overwork the case mouth.
Bmt85

Postby Hoot » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:10 pm

Bmt85 wrote:I haven't had an issue with the 225's, unless I forget to chamfer the case mouth, then it will leave a ring from the seating stem. I usually use a VLD chamfer tool. I also never expand the case mouth. Haven't needed to and I think it would overwork the case mouth.

That's the one I use as well. I thinks its made by Lyman.

Hoot

Edit: This:

Hoot

Postby gmstack » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:14 pm

Good tips. Too tired to work on it today but tomorrow I will give it a whirl. thanks to everyone for the assistance. guy
gmstack

Postby Bmt85 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:17 pm

Yeah mines a Lyman, but it has the orange and grey handle. I like it a lot better than the standard chamfer tool. I only use that one, don't use my standard one anymore.
Bmt85

Next

Return to Reloading