265 grain Swift A Frame load data

General Reloading Discussion.

Moderator: MudBug

265 grain Swift A Frame load data

Postby Daddyarcher » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:35 am

New to the forum and caliber. Here's what I have going on. I am in the process of working up loads for my Ruger American RR, and as long as you are using Hornady bullets there is a lot of data out there. If you're using Barnes, there is a fair amount. Hodgdon lists a 300 gr A Frame in their data. Apparently I chose the oddball weight that I thought would work the best for whitetails here in Ohio. There is no posted data that I can find for the 265 grain A Frame. Has anybody loaded and tested this load? I would be using LilGun or 1680 with Rem 7 1/2 primers and Starline brass.
Daddyarcher

Re: 265 grain Swift A Frame load data

Postby Hoot » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:16 pm

Daddyarcher wrote:New to the forum and caliber. Here's what I have going on. I am in the process of working up loads for my Ruger American RR, and as long as you are using Hornady bullets there is a lot of data out there. If you're using Barnes, there is a fair amount. Hodgdon lists a 300 gr A Frame in their data. Apparently I chose the oddball weight that I thought would work the best for whitetails here in Ohio. There is no posted data that I can find for the 265 grain A Frame. Has anybody loaded and tested this load? I would be using LilGun or 1680 with Rem 7 1/2 primers and Starline brass.

Welcome aboard OM!

Fortunately, QuickLoad has data files for the 265 and 300gr A-frames, so it can be modeled. Lil Gun will be the better choice of the two with a 265gr bullet.

Because it is a hollow point, your resultant COL may seem short, but imagine of it had a ballistic tip in the end, it would be a lot longer.

Looking at a picture of one, seat it so that the groove is halfway below the mouth and halfway above. Taper crimp down into the groove to yield a diameter at the mouth of .474. That should hang onto it pretty well. The resultant COL will be somewhere in the area of 2.10. Start with 36gr of Lil Gun and work up in half grain increments until you get good groups, preferably before you see pressure signs, but then we're talking bolt actions. Another approach would be to see how long your COL can go before you run into the lands of the rifling. Do you have a Stoney Point / Hornady Overall Length Gauge and 450b case for it? Otherwise, you can slit a 450b case with a Dremel cut off wheel, debur it and start one of the bullets long. Slide it gently into the chamber and see how far back the rifling pushes the bullet down into the case. That's what you have to work with. Chances are that at max length, you won't have enough of the bullet still in the case to make that approach feasible, but its a fun experiment.

BTW, 1680 is pretty slow for that weight, but can be done if you don't mind throwing 1/4 of your powder downrange unburned with the bullet moseying along in the slow lane. ;)

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Daddyarcher » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:35 pm

Thanks for the advice Hoot. Was figuring it would end up being in the 36-37 grain of LilGun for 2000-2200fps. Neither Hodgdon nor Swift were very helpful on that specific weight. Does your program show an approx pressure for a 36gr charge?
Daddyarcher

Postby Al in Mi » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:55 pm

looking thru some old notes with a 300gr Swift, OAL to the lands will be about 2.200.

as a rule, Swift keeps the nose profile the same in a caliber, then adds the extra weight to the back end.

welcome aboard, and when you get that 265 dialed in, she's gonna be a hammer!!

300gr Swift I sectioned a few years back so you can see the construction. The nose is bonded, the shank is not, but held with a heavy heel lock.

Al in Mi

Return to Reloading