Weird .223 brass

General Reloading Discussion.

Moderator: MudBug

Weird .223 brass

Postby Smithjdsr » Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:18 pm

So, apparently a very few .223 brass use a large primer and have three flash holes?

I think I only have one of these out of several hundred.
John

“Remember; No matter where you go, there you are.” -Buckaroo Banzai
Smithjdsr

Re: Weird .223 brass

Postby Hoot » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:34 pm

Looks like someone deprimed a Berdan 223 case and drilled out the anvil. I wouldn't give them much of a reloading life expectancy before the pockets get too loose.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Smithjdsr » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:12 pm

Wow, have I got a lot to learn.

I don’t think I’ll reload it- there’s only one of them so far anyway. If the Iowa Glacier ever receeds there will be lots more good brass on the ground at the range.
John

Smithjdsr

Postby Hoot » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:07 pm

Smithjdsr wrote:Wow, have I got a lot to learn.

I don’t think I’ll reload it- there’s only one of them so far anyway. If the Iowa Glacier ever receeds there will be lots more good brass on the ground at the range.

If you don't already have a Ripley's Believe it or Not Shelf, start one and keep such oddities there. Beats the heck out of little spoons from the different places you've visited. ;)

Keep an eye out for member suzispapa. I told him to drop you a PM. He lives about 25 miles west of you. Perhaps swap roast spiral cut ham recipes. Damn! Swore I wouldn't go there... :lol:

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Bmt85 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:24 pm

Hoot wrote:Looks like someone deprimed a Berdan 223 case and drilled out the anvil. I wouldn't give them much of a reloading life expectancy before the pockets get too loose.

Hoot

This.
I bet if you look through your decamped primers you’ll find one with a thin metal ring around it. That would be from them drilling through the old primer so they could use it as a sleeve to hold the boxer primer. I played around with converting Yugo M67 (7.62x39) brass for a bit. It worked but not that well. Problem is getting the “sleeves” to stay put.
Bmt85

Postby Smithjdsr » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:20 am

There was a ring. I didn’t know what it was. This one goes in my oops jar. I’m not THAT desperate for brass! I have about 2k picked up brass from last year. I’m depriming and tumbling like crazy.
John

Smithjdsr

Postby Hoot » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:30 am

Bmt85 wrote:I bet if you look through your decamped primers you’ll find one with a thin metal ring around it. That would be from them drilling through the old primer so they could use it as a sleeve to hold the boxer primer. I played around with converting Yugo M67 (7.62x39) brass for a bit. It worked but not that well. Problem is getting the “sleeves” to stay put.

I like smart solutions a lot. Drilling out the old primer to make a sleeve for the smaller Boxer primers kills two birds with one stone. The problem with any of these types of bright ideas is touch labor. In the case of .223 brass, that's a lot of touch labor to convert a case that you can pick up once fired for a few pennies.

Its kinda like when I tried my hand at swaging annealed 40 S&W cases, pouring molten lead into them and swaging them down and running them through several stages of sizing die to make 450b bullets. I did it to do proof of concept, shot a few times at 50 yds and said the heck with that. I kept a couple to show doubting Thomas' and it was fun working through the challenges, I even fluxed the cases to bond the cores but on my slowest day, I got a ton of better things to do with my time than produce a compromise bullet.

However, to each his own.

Hoot
Hoot

Postby plant_one » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:28 am

Smithjdsr wrote:There was a ring. I didn’t know what it was. This one goes in my oops jar. I’m not THAT desperate for brass! I have about 2k picked up brass from last year. I’m depriming and tumbling like crazy.

bingo!

223 brass is so cheap - theres really no point in trying to get into zombie Apocalypse type tactics, other than maybe to learn to do it for proof of concept kinda like hoot did with the bullet making/swaging.

its an interesting novelty thing and neat to know that its possible in case the world ever does get overrun by zombies...

but i've got close to 6k 5.56 casing laying around, so even then it'll take me a minute to go thru them. I'mma run out of powder and bullets long before i need to convert berdan primed brass :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
plant_one

Postby Smithjdsr » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:30 pm

Hoot wrote:
Smithjdsr wrote:Wow, have I got a lot to learn.

If you don't already have a Ripley's Believe it or Not Shelf, start one and keep such oddities there. Beats the heck out of little spoons from the different places you've visited. ;)

Keep an eye out for member suzispapa. I told him to drop you a PM. He lives about 25 miles west of you. Perhaps swap roast spiral cut ham recipes. Damn! Swore I wouldn't go there... :lol:

Hoot

Cool. I wonder where he shoots? Might be a member at the same Ike’s chapter. I don’t have this year’s key yet, so I’m really itching to shoot some of these reloads!
John

Smithjdsr

Return to Reloading