Selecting good powder for 308 but works in other common cali

General Reloading Discussion.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Selecting good powder for 308 but works in other common

Postby offrink » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:09 pm

Rollins wrote:I dont really have an local gun stores near by, closet is like 45 min to an hour in grand rapids or lansing.

I was in the area last week and stopped in at the sportsmans warehouse and they were out of almost everything.in the past i have stopped in there, cabelas gander mountain(before they closed) and usually they had powder but the varget usually gone along with 4895 etc

The smaller gunshops sometimes had them in but only 1lbs and usually more expensive.

I did pick up 1000 federal large rifle primers for 25 bucks though. Thinking i should gave bought 2 boxes though. Sadly they didnt have any small rifle ones for the bushmaster and for pistol only had some magnum primers

This is the reason I made some bulk purchases in March/April. I reload for a bunch of calibers (13-16 I can’t remember them all) and I picked up 8lbs of lil gun, Varget, blue dot, and I think 5lbs of at comp with 10k of small pistol, large pistol, large mag pistol, small rifle, small mag rifle, large rifle and large mag rifle. It was way more than what I wanted to spend right then but I don’t have to worry for the next 5 years for primers and a few for powder. I’m sure I could sell them at 2-3 times but then again I hate price gouges. I’ll just keep them.
offrink

Postby Rollins » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:00 am

Yeah i would have liked to do the same but I was off living on hotels and on military bases for last 7 months so I wasn't able to.

Sadly i thought id come back hit the sportsman warehouse or maybe a gun show and avoid all that hazmat crap.

Hopefully stuff goes back to normal and supplies start to trickle in.

One of the reasons for this thread was to hopefully get some suggestions on what to get for powder to stock up on. Get a few 8 lbs jugs of the main ones and some smaller cans for the lesser used calibers.
Rollins

Postby plant_one » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:20 pm

if you're gonna order an 8 pounder... even with the hazmat.. the cost per pound should be pretty reasonable.

especailly if you can afford to pop for 2 of them at once.
plant_one

Postby Rollins » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:15 pm

Yeah I think in the future if supplies ever come back is to bite the bullet and buy like 16 or 24 lbs of powder.

Im going to the city later this week and see what sportsmans warehouse has.

If they have 4064 should I get it? They also had Precision hunter by ramshot I think.is that powder any good?

Online i saw a few places had ramshot Tac but that seems more like a .223 size powder. How is it in 308? I see it listed in my lymans book but that's it.
Rollins

Previous

Return to Reloading