Lee fcd help

General Reloading Discussion.

Moderator: MudBug

Lee fcd help

Postby pwoller » Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:58 pm

I’m new to reloading for the 450 bushmaster and this is for an ar rifle. Using 225 ftx and the Lee pacesetter die set. My question is when it come to the crimping part. I followed the instructions with the die set and the crimp measures .475 at the case mouth just before my calipers slide off. The bullets still move out about .010 when they’re chambered still not near the lands but does that mean I need more crimp? The crimp is on cannelure.
pwoller

Re: Lee fcd help

Postby Hoot » Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:25 pm

Though I'm not familiar with the Lee 450b die set, I sure wouldn't lose any sleep over ten thousandths of an inch bullet pull as a result of chambering. I'd wager that most commercial ammo can suffer such a small amount of pull when an autoloader slams it into the chamber.
just my opinion...

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:45 pm

Hoot wrote:Though I'm not familiar with the Lee 450b die set, I sure wouldn't lose any sleep over ten thousandths of an inch bullet pull as a result of chambering. I'd wager that most commercial ammo can suffer such a small amount of pull when an autoloader slams it into the chamber.
just my opinion...

Hoot

+1
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby pwoller » Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:07 pm

Thanks guys. I just wasn’t sure if it should or will move at all assuming the crimp is done right. My reloading experience is with bottle necks without crimps so far.
pwoller

Postby s4s4u » Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:19 pm

Are you expanding the mouth of the case? Too much expansion reduces neck tension and neck tension > any type of crimp. The Lee FCD has it's faults and is equally hated and admired. You should expand the mouth just enough to get the bullet started and then crimp just enough to iron out the flare.
s4s4u

Postby Al in Mi » Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:58 am

give it another .001-.002 of bite.
Al in Mi

Postby pwoller » Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:01 am

I am using the expander before seating the bullet. I guess I assumed my neck tension was enough because I can see the bullet through the case. There’s a slight ridge where at the base of the projectile.
pwoller

Postby Hoot » Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:19 pm

pwoller wrote:I am using the expander before seating the bullet. I guess I assumed my neck tension was enough because I can see the bullet through the case. There’s a slight ridge where at the base of the projectile.

IMHO, the expander is unnecessary. Remember, there's a tendency for brass, even properly annealed brass, to spring back in the opposite direction from which it is compressed. Given the importance of as much neck tension as can be reasonably applied without distorting the bullet, if you expand the case before seating, then crimp it inward, there will be more expansion back out if the case was expanded first versus not. Repeat: IMHO

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Return to Reloading