primer availability?

General Reloading Discussion.

Moderator: MudBug

primer availability?

Postby 17DoubleE » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:56 pm

What is the real story on the small rifle primer shortage? Are production levels as normal, and are people just hording them? One store owner thought the armories were consuming most of the production.

This weekend I was pleased to see ammumition on the shelves again at a sporting goods store in Eau Claire, WI. They said primers were trickling in now and then but no real quantities of them yet. I'm hoping we'll soon find Winchester small primers again!
17DoubleE

Re: primer availability?

Postby MudBug » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:22 pm

I've seen posts from people that talked to someone from CCI who said that their production is up, but most off their primers are going to ammo makers to help with that demand. I think they said they didn't see things catching up for a year or so.

If you want primers you need to find all your favorite component suppliers like Wideners, Graf, Powder Valley, etc and check them every day, even twice a day, and look at Wolf primers.

If you find them in stock, buy them, they won't stay in stock long. THe last time Wideners got Wolf SRP's they were all gone in less than 4 hours.

Wolf primers are great, I've switched all my small rifle primer use to Wolf Small Rifle Magnums (for ar15 style rifles), they work great and seem to have no production problems like the domestic suppliers since they aren't supplying to the U.S. Ammo makers.
Eric

"A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

"War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd
MudBug
Site Admin

Postby willy1947 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:30 am

Check with Sinclair International it is a Brownell Company They have large rifle primers. They get a shipments of small rifle primer the middle of every month. Just call and put on backorder. Don't forget the $22.50 UPS shipping charge will be added. I found large primes at a local gun shop. I have been told we will have primers this fall from CCI. Willy P.
willy1947

Postby wildcatter » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:05 am

http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm? ... 78|284|737

With the Obomination pulling out of the War, maybe reloading components will get somewhat more plentiful..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Colohunter » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:34 pm

Wow, I haven't seen that price in awhile either! Didn't think I would see lower prices on primers.
Colohunter

Postby Jailer » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:18 pm

A local place (Jays) had had plenty of stock every time I've been there recently. No shortage around here it seems.
Jailer

Postby Colohunter » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:20 pm

My local Sportsmans was been having full shelves of primers the last couple times I have been in. I enjoy actually being able to go in and pick up the items I need.
Colohunter

Postby Al in Mi » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:32 am

no problem around here either, my stashes weathered the storm pretty good.

Nice to see all the AR's and parts are pretty much back to normal prices.
Al in Mi

Return to Reloading