Tested some everglades 45 caliber ammo a few weeks ago

General Reloading Discussion.

Moderator: MudBug

Tested some everglades 45 caliber ammo a few weeks ago

Postby Rollins » Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:00 pm

Well a few weeks ago I was able to get some bullets from everglades ammo.

The 45caliber hollow point version 2 (230 grn)
Tried the version 1 before and while i got ok results nothing like the box hornady black stuff, practically one hole at 100 yds with it from a bench.

Version 2 is supposed to be the same or very close to the hornady bullets minus the flex tip.
Comparing the 2 versions the version 2 is longer and more pointed vs the rounder shorter style of the version 1.

I also noticed version 2 is slightly harder to load. Version 1 i loaded without using the expander to reduce working the case and it was fine(or apeared to be) version 2 was harder to seat in and would become slightly crooked. So i had to expand the case with the expander first. Not sure if slightly wider(452 vs 451 maybe?) Or if its just the longer shape.

At the range i fired 10 shots with 4 rounds at 38 grains lil gun and 4 at 40. Version 1 shot better at 40 so i figired start there and load one at 38 as that is what some of the guys here use and say works for them.

I did not notice any difference but wasnt sure what to expect as i ran out of my cci 450 magnum primers and had to use 400 regs.

What i did notice is that magnums appear to he needed, at least at temps in the 40s. I have heard some people having success with lil gun and reg primers but maybe they were in much warmer temps.

When I shot, i could tell there was a small very tiny delay in trigger pull and bang. Not much and still usable if needed but probably not the best for accuracy or power. Delay reminded me of a muzzle loader click then boom.

Hopefully someone place will have some magnum primers in around here or summer temps will work better with what i got.

So far results look promising and it makes nice big holes in the target. Oh and while accuracy was not great it was killzone at 100 yds easily and i was able to tag the metal human chest size target at 200 yds easily with the 2 extra shots that were actually a little crooked even.
Rollins

Return to Reloading