Bullseye Powder for Sub Loads in 450BM

General Reloading Discussion.

Moderator: MudBug

Bullseye Powder for Sub Loads in 450BM

Postby brstevens » Tue Jan 09, 2024 3:56 pm

Is anyone using or tried Bullsete Powder with a 255 gr cast bullet, around 10 grains for a sub load in rhe 450 Bushmaster? Would be used in a Bolt action rifle.
brstevens

Re: Bullseye Powder for Sub Loads in 450BM

Postby brstevens » Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:45 am

Hmm! I guess not!
brstevens

Postby coyote wacker » Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:40 am

I've never tried Bullseye powder in sub-sonic but from what I've read and jotted some notes just in case I needed to try. it out....start around 8 gr. with a filler on top of the powder I would use dacron for a filler....
Reason I say 8 gr. there are many different factor that come into play using Bullseye mainly how deep the bullet is seated in the case.....using Bullseye you going to have a case loaded just over 50% and that sort of requires the use of a filler to keep the powder on the primer....tipping the gun up ward would help if you didn't use one but its much better to just use a filler.....

Best powder to use is TrailBoss but theres just none available....thats what I use very sparingly now....
coyote wacker

Postby Hoot » Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:39 pm

When I was doing my water jugs at distance tests, I used reduced loads to simulate the slower velocity that the bullets would be traveling at.

To keep things safe, I would charge the case with the chosen reduced load. Using a used 450b case that was no longer usable, for whatever reason, I sharpened the mouth to knife-like and used that to punch out caliber appropriate disks from toilet paper sheets. I would coax a disk down into the charged case and lightly tamp it flat. I would then add cream of wheat or grits to the space remaining in the case between the disk on top of the charge and the bottom of the seated bullet. Worked like a charm.

Admittedly, this is not a process for mass production due to the touch labor but its a means to an end.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby brstevens » Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:48 pm

Was given over a pound of Bullseye and was hoping for a light load to use in the 450 BM. I hate to just let it sit. From what I have read at other sites is a filler is not needed?
brstevens

Postby Hoot » Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:21 pm

brstevens wrote:Was given over a pound of Bullseye and was hoping for a light load to use in the 450 BM. I hate to just let it sit. From what I have read at other sites is a filler is not needed?

That could very well be true. I was working with just Lil Gun when I devised that method.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby coyote wacker » Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:03 am

brstevens wrote:Was given over a pound of Bullseye and was hoping for a light load to use in the 450 BM. I hate to just let it sit. From what I have read at other sites is a filler is not needed?

Problem is you're going to use a light load with less than half of the case full....to get any kind of consistent velocity powder needs to be able to ignite in consistent manner also some powders can have dangerous pressure spikes with bad ignition ....theres also a possibility of hang fire with light charges.....

I was taught and have alway used a filler over a powder charge when the powder is less than 70 % been loading for over 50 years....it's just cheep insurance avoiding a possible accident waiting to happen....a light charge of powder can be more dangerous than a over weight charge of powder....myself I don't want to find out either one.....
coyote wacker

Postby brstevens » Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:02 pm

I understand and can see using a small tuff of poly , but a card or piece of tissue with corn meal or grits to base of bullet scares me. If that should get hard well! Does not sound good to me. I have used a 1/2 inch square of toilet tissue push down onto the powder, this seem to work well. It did in the 45/70 .
brstevens

Return to Reloading