Prepping Brass

General Reloading Discussion.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Prepping Brass

Postby Jim in Houston » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:53 pm

The primer cleaning tool at http://cgi.ebay.com/PRIMER-POCKET-CLEAN ... 4aaa4fc09a on eBay is up to $31.99 plus $4 shipping. Also, the listing accepts PayPal. Must be a DADT item wrt firearms.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby Hoot » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:03 pm

It's funny and sad at the same time. When I bought mine, I was the only bidder, but then I wasn't out on the forums telling folks about them and posting the link. He sells quite a few, but tries not to list too many at a time to keep his price up as high as possible. If you could look back further than a week using the Ebay history feature, you would see just how many he has sold. There will be more. The patient hunter is rewarded.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby FirstNation » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:04 am

Rcbs makes a primer pocket cleaner that I prefer over all others. It has a handle like a small screwdriver and a small round wire brush the size of the primer pocket screws into the handle. You just stick the round brush into the primer pocket and give it a twist back and forth and you're done. It's quick and easy. It doesn't ream or resize the primer pocket but I haven't found that necessary when shooting the .450 anyway. {Rcbs also has a very small tool for that purpose if needed.} They make brushes to fit both large and small primer pockets. If I knew how, I'd post a link, unfortunately I don't.
FirstNation

Postby Hoot » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:10 am

FirstNation wrote:Rcbs makes a primer pocket cleaner that I prefer over all others. It has a handle like a small screwdriver and a small round wire brush the size of the primer pocket screws into the handle. You just stick the round brush into the primer pocket and give it a twist back and forth and you're done. It's quick and easy. It doesn't ream or resize the primer pocket but I haven't found that necessary when shooting the .450 anyway. {Rcbs also has a very small tool for that purpose if needed.} They make brushes to fit both large and small primer pockets. If I knew how, I'd post a link, unfortunately I don't.

Before I got the primer pocket tool, I used to just buy These and chuck them in my pin vise jewelers screwdriver. Cheap and worked great. I'd cut a small length of surgical tubing or aquarium hose and slide it over the bristles to keep them bunched tight. Worked with both large and small primer pockets.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby FirstNation » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:37 pm

Those are exactly the same principle as the Rcbs tool, only the Rcbs bristles are really stiff. Theres just enough of a threaded shaft on the Rcbs unit to chuck them up in a dremel tool and spin them in the primer pocket.
FirstNation

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:16 pm

RE: Paypal. From now on, in the subject line I'll just put
"For machine parts" or "tool accessories". Or maybe "goats hair",
Or "love toys". I hope Ross doesn't mind.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby MOUNTIN DU » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:24 pm

:) i've been using the rcbs brushes described by 1st nation since the mid 70's. i use the vintage case trimmer as a flash hole cleaner. :D here's that pic ;)

hunt when it's cold; fish when it's not.
South Louisiana IS the sportsman's paradise!
MOUNTIN DU

Postby Hoot » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:32 pm

WRT PayPal. Per Ross' request, I always put "machined parts".

The fellow on Ebay selling the steel brushes for 80 cents each shipped, didn't do himself a favor with his poor picture. This is what they look like and you can see the small piece of aquarium hose on the large and small primer pocket cleaners I made from them. Also the pin vise jewelers screwdriver. Everyone who works on their guns should have one. It has four different collet sizes that store in the handle. Great for cleaning out holes very carefully. It accommodates shanks from sewing needle up to 1/8 inch. You can chuck the brushes in a drill as well. They last forever. I can't begin to account for how many pockets they each cleaned before I got the new bits. It's good for evening out the wear by reversing direction on the cleaning motion with them, so I never used them in a dremel as mine didn't reverse.

WRT the pocket normalizer/cleaner bits. You'd be amazed how much brass they took off of the Hornady 450b pockets to get them to spot on SAAMI spec for small rifle primers. Not all brass is created equal though. I processed 50 Hornady 6.5 Grendel brass recently and not one of them needed any brass removed. They were right on the money. No doubt manufacturing variances will always occur.

Hoot

EDIT: the brushes are also great for jeweling bolts and other SS parts, which is mainly why I bought them. It wasn't until later that I realized they could be used for cleaning pockets.
Hoot

Postby simpleman » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:55 pm

I have only been reloadinga few years but here is how I do it. I have the RCBS case prep machine and the primer pocket uniformers and brushes.I have a die for decapping only. I can decap and run through walnut media in tumbler with new drier sheet for 24 hours. I did use the flitz for tumbler meia when first bought it. This may be overkill but my brass comes out like new and the tumbler does most of the work. Drier sheet removes fine dust and takes static out to keep dust from sticking to brass a bad.

I then hand scoop brass out of tumbler less dust is stirred up as this is done in extra room inside house. If I had the tumbling media separatorI would still hand svoop brass out then I would cut up old towles in 4 inch squares and tumle brass with cloth patches removing dust from brass casings. I uniform all primer pockets and debure them as well. I can't say I see real difference in accuracy but I can say I have done all I can do.

I then use a 45cal plastic brush and place a cleaning patch on brush and run brush on RCBS case prep tool while brush rotates I run brass up and down on brush to clean inside. I use a good bore cleaner lightly on patch then run dry patch.
simpleman

Postby wildcatter » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:36 pm

Jim in Houston wrote:The primer cleaning tool at http://cgi.ebay.com/PRIMER-POCKET-CLEAN ... 4aaa4fc09a on eBay is up to $31.99 plus $4 shipping. Also, the listing accepts PayPal. Must be a DADT item wrt firearms.

This is what I use, and swear that they are the best for me, but then again, this method looks pretty good as well..

..t

http://www.hornady.com/store/Primer-Poc ... Sm-1-Each/
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

PreviousNext

Return to Reloading