Prepping Brass

General Reloading Discussion.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Prepping Brass

Postby Jim in Houston » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:01 pm

Probably not a waste of either - those dies are expensive.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby pitted bore » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:20 pm

A bit of 0000 or 000 steel wool gets my cases pretty shiny. If the inside gets cruddy enough to cut down on case capacity, I use a tuft of steel wool on a suitable wooden stick. Primer pockets are usually cleaned with a primer pocket cleaner.
--Bob
pitted bore

Postby Hoot » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:02 pm

pitted bore wrote:A bit of 0000 or 000 steel wool gets my cases pretty shiny. If the inside gets cruddy enough to cut down on case capacity, I use a tuft of steel wool on a suitable wooden stick. Primer pockets are usually cleaned with a primer pocket cleaner.
--Bob

For primer pockets, I've used several kinds of cleaners, but nothing, repeat nothing compares to This fellow's tool. It is an extremely accurate and precise pocket uniformer and cleaner in one. The collar sets the depth per SAAMI primer spec and end mill removes debris quickly and thoroughly. I'm not associated with him, but like Ross' brakes, I believe in giving a good value, high quality guy a shout-out. Both ends have cutting blades, but I have yet to dull the first end after more than a thousand rounds. You can chuck it in a drill or a pin vise jewelers screwdriver for quieter operation. One of the best $20.00 I ever spent on reloading gets it a Hoot thumbs up!

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby pitted bore » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:23 pm

The primer pocket cleaners I use are actualy primer-pocket uniformers, and are made of tungsten carbide. They work fine for scraping the mung out of the primer pockets. They should be usable by a great-grandkid for his/her brass, unless I lose them.

I've worried a bit that the powdered glass that is in the residue from some primers might mess with steel. The ones I have are from Dick Wright, who used to sell them at bench-rest matches. I think carbide uniformers are now sold by other firms.

The ones on eBay appear to be nicely done. A shame about that PayPal stuff.

--Bob
pitted bore

Postby Hoot » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:44 pm

pitted bore wrote: ...snip...
The ones on eBay appear to be nicely done. A shame about that PayPal stuff.
--Bob

IMHO, the whole PayPal thing is overstated. I can't begin to count the number of firearm related purchases I've made using PayPal, including 3 of Ross' brakes. In this litigious, sue everyone in the supply chain that led up to a mishap society, I don't blame them for backing off on some gun related purchases. I suspect the folks behind GunPal just wanted to further their cause by dissing any competitor and look what they wound up being. I do respect everyone having their own opinion about them though. Not wanting to start an argument...

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:28 am

What's going on with paypal?
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Hoot » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:02 am

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:What's going on with paypal?

Nothing new, however some folks take exception to the following, which goes back a few years now:
---------------------------------------------------------------
paypal wrote:You may not use the PayPal service for activities that:

...snip... relate to sales of...snip...ammunition, firearms, or certain firearm parts or accessories, or (i) ,certain weapons or knives regulated under applicable law.

---------------------------------------------------------------
It is loosely enforced, especially where parts and accessories are concerned. Kind of a "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy. To me, it's no big deal, not being able to wave my pro-gun banner in their faces and then dare them to do something about it, but to others it is. Like I said, if you're discreet, it does not matter. Some folks view that as being repressed.

To reiterate, I'm not trying to rekindle an old beef.
Hoot

Postby FirstNation » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:54 am

I think the key here is the fact that after the Virginia Tech shooting, Ebay discovered that some items purchased via Ebay may have been used in the shooting. That's when they changed their policy. And since they own Paypal....
FirstNation

Postby MOUNTIN DU » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:01 pm

:) there's many reasons to clean your brass. most listed here. i almost always "tumble" my brass in walnut hull media. two points here:
a) :| my single shot & bolt action bottle neck cartridges that go from the box, to the gun, and back to the box again; will usually get tumbled every other reload. :? all others get tumbled every time... even the straight wall (carbide die) calibers.
b) :| notice i said "tumbled" and not polished :oops: i'm really not into the shiney bling-bling thing :roll: so i think it's only necessary to tumble my brass for all the same cleaning reasons mentioned above. clean; not bright & shiney. hence; i like to use the word "tumbled" vs polished and i find the walnut hulls perform the one step cleaning/polishing better than the softer corn cobb media. the outcome is the same really and it's MUCH quicker than all the steps envolved in polishing :mrgreen: JMHO though ;)

:) p.s . it's a good idea to decap & clean pockets after tumbling, to prevent media from plugging the flash hole... and it will clean the interior of the neck enough to prevent the expander plug from sticking. most primer pocket brushes don't have a pilot pin to clear the flash hole. 8-)
hunt when it's cold; fish when it's not.
South Louisiana IS the sportsman's paradise!
MOUNTIN DU

Postby MOUNTIN DU » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:06 pm

:shock: ...as for the paypal thing :? ...you're either for us or against us! 8-)
hunt when it's cold; fish when it's not.
South Louisiana IS the sportsman's paradise!
MOUNTIN DU

PreviousNext

Return to Reloading