Cast Bullets

General Reloading Discussion.

Moderator: MudBug

Cast Bullets

Postby Skeeter58 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:02 am

I need some help guys. I recently purchased a 325 grn Lyman mold that is supposed to cast at .452. I'm using wheel weights and the bullets are measuring .4505. I called Lyman and they said I had to use their #2 recipe or I would have problems. Does the lead makeup make a difference in the size of bullet that drops out of the mold? Doesn't make sense to me but maybe it does. Any experience with this problem? :evil:
Skeeter58

Re: Cast Bullets

Postby BD1 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:41 am

While that's a pretty standard excuse from Lyman, alloy composition and the temp you're casting at will both effect the "as cast" boolit diameter. Read a little at the site below for lot's of info on casting boolits. In addition there are several mechanical methods to increase the diameter of the boolits you're dropping.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/

BD
BD1

Location: Northern Maine, Working on the coast, but home is still Moosehead Lake.

Postby howa-doing » Fri Sep 01, 2023 7:30 am

sounds like this mold is a good excuse to take up powder coating
howa-doing

Postby coyote wacker » Sun Sep 03, 2023 7:37 am

When you heat up metal it expands....depending on the alloy some will "shrink" more than others....that is why Lyman uses No.2 lead alloy as a common denominator for the size of a bullet in No.2 alloy....
One thing is try a different measuring tool some could be off .001" or more....
coyote wacker

Return to Reloading